need an opinion

game14

[H]ard|Gawd
Simple question , would two MCR120 + one MCR80 be enough to cool a Phenom2 X4 940 (@3.6ghz/1.4V) + HD4870 (OC @775/1000) or should i go with my second option of two MCR220 ?
Before i was running an Athlon64 X2 4200 (OC to 2.7/1.4V) + factory OC 8800gts (g80) on one MCR120 + one MCR80 with medium speed fans just fine.Since the 8800gts was known to run pretty hot... i guess the HD4870 should dump about the same amount of heat into the loop. The X4 of course should dump a little more heat than my old X2, so i was wondering if just adding another MCR120 to the loop would take care of that ?
Im not really watercooling to squeeze the last bit of performance out of my system or gettin arctic cold temp, im just watercooling for the fun of it . So decent temp and low noise of a stable running system is just fine.
Any opinions ?

thx

Oh yeah, I think you'd be fine. Especially considering nothing you do typically places both components under full load simultaneously. The max power draw of the 4870 is 150W compared to the 8800GTS's 145W. The overclocked Phenom 2 wattage is 204W compared to the overclocked A64 X2 wattage of 117W. So (only under theoretical 100% full load) your heat input increased by 92 Watts, or 35%, and your heat dissipation area is increasing by 70% (with the 3 small rad's). Granted all these numbers are theoretical but given the fact that your GPU and CPU are rarely (if ever) maxed out simultaneously, I think you'd be fine either way. Installation seems like it'd be easier with two larger rad's vs. the three small rad's but that's your call...

So overall its around 350W with 100% load on both which basically is never gonna happen , even playing Crysis i never got it to 100% cpu load on 4 cores ... so yeah i guess it should work.
Well installation is not a big deal since im using my old Q-Pack which already got the holes cut and mountings for the MCR120 in the back and the MCR80 in front.The second MCR120 is going in the drivebays since i took out the optical drives , i never really used them anyways other than for installation of OS and programs.Exhaust would be on top.So i keep it all inside with a clean over all look.

Thank you man.

Back