Need card for old system

michael.pa2

2[H]4U
I have an old Compaq Presario 5000 I'm fixing up for my son to use.It has a GeForce 2 MX card that's seen better days.Anyone have recommendations for a better card,old or new,that is AGP and needs no more than a 250W psu? Can't upgrade the power supply,it's proprietary(hell,most of this machine is!) and 250 is as high as they come.

More than likely that 250W PSU, considering that's it is proprietary, old, and comes with a Compaq PC, will not support even the old 6800GT cards. Maybe a GeForce MX4 or 5200 series might work.

those are not proprietary power supplies and neither is the rest of system for the most part. I have owned many HP and Compaqs for years and that 250 watt power supply can easily be replaced. that being said a 6800gt and new power supply might just be a waste of time and money depending on the rest of the specs. let me know and I might have something suitable for your old Compaq like more memory and a decent agp graphics card.

I have the 5423US model,and I can assure you,the PSU is proprietary. The connector is unique,since the motherboard itself was made by Compaq.Even the connector for the heatsink fan is proprietary.

I have the 5423US model,and I can assure you,the PSU is proprietary. The connector is unique,since the motherboard itself was made by Compaq.Even the connector for the heatsink fan is proprietary.
wow that thing is from January 2002. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...9511&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=93322&lang=en

my oldest one is from July 2003 so maybe something was different before then but mine can be upgraded easily. also HP/Compaq usually use Asus boards in their comp.

to be honest with the specs on your comp why even bother?

It's just something for my son to play around with,mostly to play arcade emulator games.It still runs pretty good,the graphics card is just showing it's age.

Back