Need cheap PC builds for my sisters.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Web browsing, movies and gaming.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I need two identical builds hopefully much cheaper than $1000 total.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Madison Heights, Michigan
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, Monitor, HDD, Memory, Motherboard, CPU, PSU, GPU, OS license. (basically everything...)
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I have two 450w Corsair PSUs. The vx models with green letters. I'm currently using one, but I want to upgrade to a modular.
6) Will you be overclocking?
No.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Monitors need to be purchased. Preferably smaller than 1920x1200 if it will reduce the cost of the GPUs.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Sometime in October. Their birthdays are the 15th and 29th, so somewhere around those days.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
The features do not need to be fancy, but maybe something able to be upgraded. For example, easy ram upgrades, enough space for a new gpu with a bulky cooler, no blocked ports, etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Windows license needs to be included.

The most intensive use of these computers will be HD movies and Source games. Maybe some racing games. Also, one sister has a dog and cat, the other has two dogs. The cases will need protection from those hairs and debris getting in the fans.
I compiled a list of the cheapest parts newegg had available, but I don't know that much about AMD cpus and motherboards. So, I decided to ask here.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
so basicly 2 pc for 500 each? you also never said which os cause right now i am putting linux down you also did not mention desktop or laptop...

Xigmatek ASGARD II ATX Mid Tower Computer case

Acer S201HLbd Black 20" 5ms LED-Backlight LCD monitor

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

ASUS M5A78L-M LX AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3

SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA

Subtotal: $1,033.83 + 37 for shipping loosing your power supply and one of the copies of windows makes it 793+32 shipping

Keep in mind with the above it includes your new modular psu and you technicly only have to buy one copy of windows as they are good for 5 activations use one on both and save 99 dollars... i put 2 on there as you are supposed to have 2 licenses for 2 computers... they can add a ati 6000 series card later if they need more power than the ati 3000 onboard or get this one for 20 more each and they can do hybrid crossfire if they add another ati card ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI you do loose bulldozer support but hybrid crossfire might be worth it...

Last edited:
With such a low budget, you'd be better off buying something manufactured from someone like Dell, HP, etc...

But if you're dead set on building a cheap computer, then bump this topic in October as we will need to use as many combo deals as possible to get you within' budget and they change month to month.

I added Windows as OS of choice to OP. Also, I did not think specifying laptop or desktop would be necessary since one cannot assemble a laptop easily, I think. So yes, Desktop.

I considered prebuilt machines but I have no experience with them and do not know if they are upgrade friendly. Also, Lunas, the GPU is missing in your recommendations.

I added Windows as OS of choice to OP. Also, I did not think specifying laptop or desktop would be necessary since one cannot assemble a laptop easily, I think. So yes, Desktop.

I considered prebuilt machines but I have no experience with them and do not know if they are upgrade friendly. Also, Lunas, the GPU is missing in your recommendations.

His build, which I don't recommend is using onboard video.

As I mentioned though, come back a week or two before you plan to order as what is recommend now will be outdated/over priced in a month. We'll most likely need some combo deals that expire monthly to get you within' your budget.

nope it is on the motherboard both motherboards i posted have either ati hd 3000 or hd 4250 both are good enough for light to moderate gaming both boards support the addition later on of a better gpu there is only 2 things i left out keyboard and mouse....

If you can squeeze in another 100 XFX HD-645X-ZQH2 Radeon HD 6450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 these are 49 with $20 rebate

Last edited:
I believe that you need to increase your budget. An OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium costs around $100 and you'll probably spend over $100 for a decent 21 to 22 inch monitor. Normally, I would also recommend a mid-range video card for gaming, which would add about another $100 (though likely more) to what you've already spent.

How much can you realistically spend on both systems? Which sister needs the more powerful system?

I believe that you need to increase your budget. An OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium costs around $100 and you'll probably spend over $100 for a decent 21 to 22 inch monitor. Normally, I would also recommend a mid-range video card for gaming, which would add about another $100 (though likely more) to what you've already spent.

How much can you realistically spend on both systems? Which sister needs the more powerful system?

I can spend $750 on each system. They both do the same activities, since they both have cheap laptops from Wal-Mart. I don't think either of them know how to use Photoshop or do any video rendering. I didn't want to spend a lot because these systems will likely not be cared for properly(dusty fans, bloatware, etc). I'll call them to ask if they can cover maybe half the cost, to increase the budget.

Here's a different $500 build:

$55 - MSI 760GM-P33
$60 - AMD Athlon II X2 250
$22 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT 4GB DDR3 1333 DIMM
$55 - EVGA 01G-P3-1526-KR GT 520 1GB
$45 - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB HDD
$19 - Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS SATA DVD burner
$30 - Rosewill FBM-01 microATX mini-tower case
(use the Corsair VX450)
$100 - Acer S200HLAbd 20" 1600x900 monitor
$100 - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit OEM DVD
=====
$486 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

(Shipping charges would push the above system to just over $500)

Using the "extra money," I would recommend an upgrade of the processor, video card, and monitor:

$75 - AMD Athlon II X3 445
$150 - XFX HD-685X-ZNFR Radeon HD 6850
$120 - Acer S211HLbd 21.5'' 1920x1080 monitor (Sale of the week, expires 9/28)

The total of the "upgraded" system would cost around $621 before shipping or taxes, but it would create a considerably better gaming experience for your sisters.

It's almost impossible to find a case, regardless of whether it's microATX or full ATX, capable of decent cooling without any side or top vents for under $50. Additionally, with cats, you have to clean out the inside of the case and the fans at least once a month to ensure that everything runs fine. (I understand your concerns about your sisters not taking care of these machines, but there's really no good alternative recommendation.)

about the only thing that will prevent cat and dog hair to get in is if you went with a sealed system with the case as one big passive heatsink... Since that is not reasonable to build your next best bet will be filters over the intakes and regular cleaning... the case i picked happens to have a filter over the intake

Over all i think as advise we should tell you what you want to avoid for gaming dont look at single core or anything with sempron or celeron in the name of the processor also dont jump on the apu from amd not upgradeable and they dont have the performance low end laptops already have...

And if the real budget is 750 each well then add 2 XFX hd 6770 to my build they are about 100 each and are great gaming cards keep the motherboard with the hd3000 on it as it can have a bulldozer dropped in it later... also add Keyboard and mouse

comes out to 611 without the extra psu to upgrade your rig... 681 per sisters rig when you factor in your replacement psu

and you will want to use windows to make a backup image of the hard drive when everything they want on it gets installed that way when they get it loaded down with malware you can just hit restore and be good to go...

Last edited:
There's a Microcenter in OP's city btw.

Intel:
$100 - Intel Core i3-2100
$20 - MSI H61M-P23

AMD:
$120 - Phenom™ II X4 965 Black Edition and GA-78LMT-S2P Socket AM3+ 760G mATX

Microcenter Parts:
$55 - Samsung F3 1 TB
$90 - Hewlett-Packard S2031 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor
$120 - One of the above CPU + Motherboard combos
Subtotal: $264.96
Tax: $15.90
Total: $280.86

Newegg Parts:
$100 - Windows 7 Home Premium OEM
$22 - 4GB G.Skill RAM
$30 (before $5MIR) - Xigmatek ASGARD II Case
$7 - 120mm Fan Filters
$60 (before $10 MIR) - SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB
Subtotal: $218.95
Shipping: $0.00
Total: $218.95

Combined Total: $499.81

Use your current power supply with the above build.

If you want to increase to $750 double your RAM and add a GPU and PSU from the following:

RAM:
$41 - G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

GPUs:
$110 (before $20 MIR, +$7.56 shipping) - XFX HD-677X-ZNLC Radeon HD 6770 1GB (with free Shogun 2 and STALKER Call of Pripyat)
or
$150 (before $30 MIR) - XFX HD-685X-ZNFR Radeon HD 6850 1GB (with free Deus Ex Human Revolution)

Power Supplies:
$58 (use code PSUSV9) - Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-520 520W
$70 (before $20 MIR) - Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-620 620W (if you're a rebate fan this is a great deal.)

For Source games, the basic sub-$500 system should work. Don't expect to tick off high on all the graphics settings as the 5570 will be limiting. But they can upgrade in the future if they get into more games or want more eye candy.

Total so far is $336.43 with only the operating system left to buy. You could save some money by buying a Windows 7 Family Pack which allows for 3 upgrade installations of Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit or 64-bit. This is getting harder to find now but buy.com has it for $129.99 which would make each license $65 plus you still have a bonus license you could use elsewhere. The problem here is that these are upgrade licenses so in order to stay legal, you would have to decommission a previous license of Windows. You can do a clean install with an upgrade license though (google it). Otherwise you can just buy the $100 license of Windows 7 and still be at around $436 Shipped.

The integrated graphics on the 880G motherboard should be good enough for the "Source" games that I would guess they'll be playing. They can always add their own graphics cards later or you still have some budget left to add a discrete graphics card.

If they need a keyboard & mouse; Logitech MK120 Black USB Wired Slim Desktop - $19.99 Shipped (possibly cheaper on Amazon)

Last edited:
Yah, definitely go with tony's build. Not sure how long that Intel combo will last. The AMD combos are usually always in effect. I picked one of the 2100 combos last month for $10 less. Bring someone with you in case they give you a hard time about buying two CPUs; though, with the monitor and HDD, they shouldn't bug you about it (they get mad if you're buying just CPUs, since that's their loss leader, so they limit you to one, hehe).

Rebates get it Damn close:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=13674074

[edit]
Damn it, didn't catch you needed the OS, as well. Lots of combo and shell-shocker deals, so with a bit of hunting, you can drive cost down even further no matter what route you take.

First thing to do today, truck your butt over to MicroCenter and get the i3-2100+MoBo deal!

Careful selecting memory, on an 1155 platform, I would NOT recommend going over 1.5V modules.
[/edit]

Last edited:
Back