Need CPU advice

rrhomes

Weaksauce
I recently thought my CPU had fried so I bought a 939 4200+ dual core 64 it's a 2.2mhz. I had a 3500+ AMD 64 that was also at 2.2mhz. I now realize that the 3500+ is still good and that the issue was my power supply. I wound up getting Vista along with a new motherboard(I'm keeping those) but the 4200 dual core cost me $70 and I can send it back for a full refund. Since both processors are at 2.2mhz should I just send back the 4200. From my recall when I ran the Vista beta last year my 3500+ was just as fast but I've also recently heard that you need Vista Ultimate to run 2 core's. If I'm get nothing out of the 4200 AMD 64 then I might as well get my $70 back but if I'm getting better multi threading(doesn't seem like it) then I'll keep it. I have Vista Home Premium does it run dual core or am I screwed since its OEM and I can't return it, I'd got Ultimate if I knew I had to have it to run dual core. Anyway 3500+ at 2.2mhz and get my $70 or stay with the 4200+ at 2.2mhz.

If you run any programs that are multi thread keep it (many newer games are/will be)

Otherwise send it back, get you money back and put it into an upgrade in the future, you will need one if you game at all.

All flavors of Vista (as well as XP) are multi-core aware, and the OS will take advantage of multiple processors. You don't need Ultimate.

Personally, I would send back the X2 anyway and start saving up for a new system. Socket 939 is dead.

Well if Vista home is multi core able then I'll keep it for when I run anti-virus. I had a OCZ PS with a five year warranty so that was covered. The PS was the first thing I checked but I took it CompUSA and they powered it up and it ran, but I later found out after my new motherboard didn't fix the problem that you have to put a load on the PS to see if it's truly dead. My whole problem could have been fixed for $10 shipping but I was fooled by the tester at CompUSA, what a joke when the consumer knows whats wrong and professional says no your PS is good. I don't plan to upgrade for another 12 months as I'm mainly just a net surfer, but I am enjoying the stability of Vista only one crash in 3 weeks and that was a websites fault, love the sleep mode to it's very fast and automatic. I'll keep it and sell my other MSI Motherboar, XP and the 3500+ on ebay.

Back