need for speed shift

I got it today and put in about 25 mins of gameplay. Initial impressions are very positive.

FWIW, it runs just fine on my E6550/P35/2GB/GTX260sp16 OC/XP Pro SP3 rig at 1920x1200, 4xAA, 16xAF, v-sync on and everything (except shadows) on 'high'. Frame rates are in the 50-60 range and sometimes dip into the 40s when there is heavy action on screen. Extremely playable, with no lag or stuttering.

Load times are a bit on the high side, and I don't like the stupid consolized menu system; also cannot change sensitivity and controls in-game.

Coming from the arcadish Grid, the controls take some getting used to. I've played with only the xbox 360 controller so far, haven't tried my Logitech Momo FF wheel yet. Braking is very important in the game; unlike Grid you can't just slide around corners, correct the line and power out. In Shift that's guaranteed to put you in the guardrails (this may improve once I get used to the controls). The default sensitivity settings aren't great, and I am still optimizing the setup; I suspect it'll play better with a wheel where the precision of control is higher.

Graphics are very decent except for the car models as a post above mentioned. They don't look as good as Grid's even when maxed out. Sensation of speed is much better than Grid IMHO.

All in all, a solid NFS game finally.;)

does force feedback work on the xbox control pad for the pc version?

Does this game support LAN play for the PC and how is the net code for it? Pro Street didnt have the best netcode for it.

Last edited:
jonneymendoza said:
does force feedback work on the xbox control pad for the pc version?

Yes, it does; but I've turned it off in the menu. I don't like FF on my controller, only on the wheel.

What settings are people using with the wheel? How many degrees of rotation?

The bloody deadzone / lack of sensitivity is making me hate on the game.

What settings are people using with the wheel? How many degrees of rotation?

The bloody deadzone / lack of sensitivity is making me hate on the game.

With the G25 I'm using 420 degrees, 0% deadzone for all, 50% for the sensitivity settings (to keep inputs linear), Speed sensitive steering to 0%, Steering lock to 100%

I haven't tested much with my GT3RS wheel since I haven't figured out a way to properly solidify the shifter mount.

I've heard that if you use 900 degrees you get a big deadzone... I haven't tested it (i'm not good enough for 900 degrees lol.. need to steer to fast for me)

Also, when in cockpit view it always looks like the game wheel is not following the steering wheel, it bugged me at first, but it seems my input is still moving the car properly so I don't mind.

EDIT: not sure if you have PC or PS3 version, my post was about PC.

I tried it with the Logitech Momo FF wheel on the PC, and the controls are way better than the xbox controller. The game even has a built-in profile for the wheel. I had to change the sensitivity to 35% for the steering and reduce deadzone for the brakes and accelerator to 0.The FF strength also had to be reduced to 2, since I need only the self centering feature of the wheel...don't care much for the vibrations. I am still messing around with the deadzone and sensitivity settings to find the perfect combination.

I tried it with the Logitech Momo FF wheel on the PC, and the controls are way better than the xbox controller. The game even has a built-in profile for the wheel. I had to change the sensitivity to 35% for the steering and reduce deadzone for the brakes and accelerator to 0.The FF strength also had to be reduced to 2, since I need only the self centering feature of the wheel...don't care much for the vibrations. I am still messing around with the deadzone and sensitivity settings to find the perfect combination.

I have the same wheel. I had "tweaked" earlier but it just made it worse so I'm back at default. I also have FF strength set at 8.

Maybe this might help you out. It did for me. http://needforspeed.com/web/nfs-na/blogs/need-for-speed-news/-/nfsblogs/116565

I wasn't getting this till I read it was developed by GTR folks and then reading this review

http://pc.ign.com/articles/102/1023587p4.html

I have a PS3 and 360 on a big screen but my PC just provides a better gaming environment/experience. A 26" screen doesn't hurt. ;) Or I can hook my PC to my big screen, whatever PC FTW. :D

Played the demo for PC last night-- I was impressed. Looks and feels solid IMO. Being able to look around using the right joystick and see the driver's feet on the peddles, using the shifter and looking in my side view mirrors in cars was pretty dope.

you put jpop in a racing game video? seriously? here I was expecting to find out if the sti in game sounds remotely like the real one.

it does ill do another one with sound that shorter but the engine sounds are great

I need the XBCD drivers for my 360 controller but can't find them online, anyone know where they are these days?

Not very nice gameplay with 4870CF 512 mb @ 1920x1200, to little vram.

Well.

Over to the realistic approach they've gone into.
love it, and hate it.

Why ?
cars really dont slide that easy, 80 kph and sliding without throttle with little turning with the 200SX S14 with suspension upgrade (ingame)
I got the same car in my garage, and really, it doesnt slide that easy!

As a notice, you really cant spin round with a GT-R R35 or R34 for that matter at 100kph, obviously you can in games, i thought games was easier and had unrealistic traction not anymore!

AI is very agressive, when you come to the bugatti challenge you really takes a piss on the game.
it feels like the acceleration and steering isnt quite right, a little turn on the pad = 50% and its hard to adjust it, even the arcade grid got a better usage of the 360 controller.
Auto settings set me to hard with no assists, except anti brake lock and another thing. tried other settings aswell.

Playing on PC win7 64 bit with 4ghz quadcore PHII with 4870CF 512 mb 26" with a 360 controller.

However, they are into something here!

Yeah, if they can get the handling down to where your back end doesn't slide out like some cheap hoe when you look at the analog stick the wrong way it could be a pretty decent game.

You know what..., I handle getting used to the infinite menu's, the so so realistic handling of the cars, and most of the other bugs in the game, what I CANNOT swallow is the goddam ai. I just spent literally an hour on the zonda challenge and let me just say.. the first turn is like a grand prix of go-carts at the local walmart. :mad:

They act either as if you are not there or someone has a contract out on you. After the umpteenth restart I started to just sit back and watch the mayhem on the first turn and still some shmuck comes full throttle outta nowhere just to blindside me :mad::mad:

Yeah, if they can get the handling down to where your back end doesn't slide out like some cheap hoe when you look at the analog stick the wrong way it could be a pretty decent game.

Yeah they do. I slide in every corner, no throttle, with my ps3 controller on Windows 7 x64. Steering dead zone at 0%, steering sensitivity at 0%, speed steering at 50%. Tire pressure at the lowest possible setting and I'm sliding regardless of what I do. Any advice?

Wow this sure isnt what NFS onc was.. just a bad Grid game :( i want back the cop pursuits that was what thisgame was about.

Wow this sure isnt what NFS onc was.. just a bad Grid game :( i want back the cop pursuits that was what thisgame was about.

No, actually its not. Cops weren't a big thing in NFS until 3 and then they were gone until HP2.

Actually, there were cops in the first Need for Speed. They could pull you over and end your race if you were caught three times or you could outrun them.

Actually, there were cops in the first Need for Speed. They could pull you over and end your race if you were caught three times or you could outrun them.

Yeah, but they were kind of random in appearance and really weren't a focus.

The graphics on the pc version is pretty good, I haven't seen the xbox 360 or ps3
versions but I'm sure they couldn't look any worse.

Back