Need Help Choosing CPU Cooler Socket 1156

UMtech84

Weaksauce
I need help choosing an air cooler that will work with a socket 1156 mobo for an i5-750. I will be looking to at least overclock to 3.5ghz and I need something that will keep the processor cool in south florida summer weather. After doing some searching, I've come across the Zalman CNPS9900, Cooler Master Hyper 212, Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B, and Thermalright MUX-120. What would you all recommend from personal experience between these coolers and any other good ones out there? :confused::confused::confused: Thanks for any and all help :)

I see you are running 4ghz
what temp do you get when testing intelburn/linX ?

h50 above 3.5Ghz on my i5 is not that great, reaches 84c maximum on intelburn.

how is it that high? mines at 3.5 and i never break 50

how is it that high? mines at 3.5 and i never break 50

50c.. are you referring to daily usage or intelburn? Because I don't believe you are getting 50c in intelburn, unless you have some serious air coolers at their maximum speed and really low room temperature.

im using a xiggy dark knight which is pretty old school...don't necessarily recommend it bc there are definetly better ones out there. but its gotta be cheap by now so just in case you come across it and are wondering about temps:

3.74ghz 1.2875vcore and 1.21vtt im getting temps in the very low to mid 70's. thats with HT enabled which makes about a 10C difference from what I have read.

50c.. are you referring to daily usage or intelburn? Because I don't believe you are getting 50c in intelburn, unless you have some serious air coolers at their maximum speed and really low room temperature.

prime 95 will hit about 53 after 1 hour and linx will hit 55C after 20 passes (and its about 75-80 degrees outside).
video converting, temps dont break 50C

so above i was referring to using the computer, not testing it =D

the setup is:
case--->rad---->shroud---->cooler master r4 blowing as exhaust.

vcore is 1.18
vtt is 1.15

I've got a Xigmatek S1283V Dark Knight on my 920 C0. I've seen it as low as $30 AR. It's not the best, but it does pretty well and is relatively cheap (the Megahalems and S-Flex mentioned by psilence seem to total about $80). I turned my BCLK up to 166 and left the voltages set to auto, resulting in 3.33-3.5GHz. With VT and HT on, it never got over 70°C while running IBT (forcing 8 threads). In daily usage with dnetc maxing out the CPU and two GPUs, the cores are 60-65°C.

I think i'm really starting to lean towards the CNPS9900ALED, after reading a couple of the reviews here on [H] it beats out the TRUE 120, Hyper 212, the Megahalems, the Thermalright Mux-120 and the Scythe Mugen 2. The Xigg Dark Knight is out of the equation since apparently it won't work on a socket 1156 mobo without buying a retention bracket. The COGAGE True Spirit is supposed to be really good from the reviews and decently priced, but again you'd need to buy a retention kit for socket 1156 :( The CNPS9900ALED can be had for $62 shipped and it comes with a socket 1156 retention clips/kit already included. I'm still looking around though to see if I find anything else :)

+1 for h50. Keeps my 860 around 35c and friends 750's near the same temp with moderate loads.

I see you are running 4ghz
what temp do you get when testing intelburn/linX ?

h50 above 3.5Ghz on my i5 is not that great, reaches 84c maximum on intelburn.

I see mid 70s at 4.01GHz in my stress tests

I just think the H50 is a great cooler. Saves space and performs with the behemoth air coolers

prime 95 will hit about 53 after 1 hour and linx will hit 55C after 20 passes (and its about 75-80 degrees outside).
video converting, temps dont break 50C

so above i was referring to using the computer, not testing it =D

the setup is:
case--->rad---->shroud---->cooler master r4 blowing as exhaust.

vcore is 1.18
vtt is 1.15

I have the same cpu speed clock, vcore and vtt and still get 84c as maximum temperature after 20 passes.

I have FT02 chase with two Noctua NF-S12B as push+pull for H50.

I'll probably grab Noctua NH-D14 and end this madness, forcing the fans to spin at their maximum rate didn't substantially change anything only 3c decrease.

Cogage True Spirit at $35, comes with 1 fan - bargain option, and [H] recommended
Cogage Arrow at about $63, comes with 1 fan, + cost of fans (xigmatek's 140mm fans are good)
Noctua DH-14 at about $80, includes 2 decent fans

Cogage is a division of Thermalright, hence the name "TRUE spirit."

If you look at the [H] reviews, the Arrow and DH-14 class of monster heatsinks seem no better than the True Spirit, but that's misleading. They are most certainly better. The True Spirit is no slouch though...

Why recommend the s1283 or s1284 based heatsinks (dark knight) when the True Spirit is the same price or less? I have the OCZ vendetta 2 (modded s1283 design), but only because I got it for $17 - $15 rebate = $2. The True Spirit is unequivocally the better heatsink, and these HDT (Heatpipe Direct Touch) designs haven't proven to perform all that well.

Koolertek is having a sale on the scythe gentle typhoon 1850rpm fan, and they also have the True Spirit for $35. Hotdeals forum for more info on that. They also sell the Cogage Arrow.

Edit: Oh... and of course the Megahalems and Venemous-X are great... don't like the Corsair H50 much, but it'll do fine for a moderate overclock. They need to make an "H60" with a 140mm radiator. Then it'd be competitive against high-end air.

Last edited:
I have the same cpu speed clock, vcore and vtt and still get 84c as maximum temperature after 20 passes.

I have FT02 chase with two Noctua NF-S12B as push+pull for H50.

I'll probably grab Noctua NH-D14 and end this madness, forcing the fans to spin at their maximum rate didn't substantially change anything only 3c decrease.

the noctuas might not have enough static pressure to make it through the radiator (i had the same issue with a thermaltake. had it set up as exhaust but i could feel more air blowing into the case that out the back). also maybe there is an issue wit hthe thermal paste

what is your case ventilation like?
maybe shoot corsair an email and see what they have to say. i find it strage that we get so different results with nearly the same setup.
i used to have my h50 in a push pull with the coolermaster R4s but it didnt aid my temps much. adding a shroud(rad--->shroud--->fan) did the same as having fan--->rad--->fan in exhaust mode if not better
i got the idea from another user who had fan--->shroud--->rad---->shroud---->fan. he said this was the best setup but the only way to do that is put a fan and shroud outside the back of the case.
me not wanting that outside the case just did half of it. also i got th eshroud idea from him as well. all it is, is a gutted 120mm fan. acts as a spacer and fits perfectly. also the single setup is much quieter than the push pull

Last edited:
Back