Need help completing a storage server build

unwire

Weaksauce
I have been following this forum for a while, and have been planning my storage server build.

However, I need your help to finish it!

Purpose of build:
1. Storage and streaming of media over existing Gigabit LAN
2. Storage and backup of workstations and other irreplaceable data (photos, etc)

Here's what I have in mind so far: (*=already purchased)

Case: Norco 4220
*RAID Controller: Highpoint RocketRAID 4320
SAS Expander: Chenbro CK12803
miniSAS Cable: SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 (free with Norco case combo @ NewEgg)
*Storage HDs: Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS 2TB (x9)
*PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX TX 650W
RAM: 4GB of DDR2 800 (model unknown)
System HD: Some 2.5" drive (can I use any laptop drive?)
*Backup Drive: Existing external eSATA drive for nightly/weekly backups
Fans: MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm Case Fan - to replace stock Norco 4220 fans!

Now for the components I'm stuck on:

Motherboard: ??
CPU: ??

It seems my only requirement for the mobo is that it have a PCIe x8 slot for my RocketRAID 4320, an onboard gigabit nic, and onboard video.

The GA-MA790GP-UD4H seems to be popular, but NewEgg has a combo deal for the Norco 4220 and ASUS P5BV-C/4L LGA 775 Intel 3200 server board that brings it from $189->$119. Would this be appropriate?

Any advice on these selections, or compatibility of the system as a whole would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Unwire.

i would go for norco+ud4h board combo + some eco tripple/quad core
in fact, just picked up ud4h for fileserver

anyway if you want it cheaper you can go for some 740/780/785 board with eco dualcore

Thanks for the reply, asgards.

I was actually thinking a dual-core might be sufficient for my purposes, no? I'm just going to be serving files from this machine. Nothing too intensive.

After some more research, my revised list is as follows:

Case: NORCO RPC-4220
RAID Controller: HighPoint RocketRAID 4320
SAS Expander: Chenbro CK12803
Motherboard: GA-MA790GP-UD4H
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX TX 650W Power Supply
RAM: OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 Dual Channel
System Drive: WD Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB (to fit in 2.5" drive mount)
Storage HDs: Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS 2TB

Anyone see any potential problems with that config?

Thanks again,
Unwire.

Looks good to me. Personally I'd spend the extra $20 for the 750TX PSU for just a bit more headroom but you should be fine with the 650TX.

Thanks for looking it over, Danny!

Funny you mentioned the power supply - I had originally settled on the 750W Corsair, but then I saw Zip Zoom Fly had the 650W for $79.99 after MIR, and after verifying that the RR 4320 had staggered spin-up, I changed my mind. :) Also, that is one of the four components I've already ordered, so its too late to turn back now! <grin>

Next thing to figure out is which fans I should buy to replace the stock 80mm fans that come with the Norco 4220. I was planning on picking up the 6 of the MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm Case Fans - NewEgg did have a 10 pack of these for $12 shipped, but now that the deal is over, 6 fans would cost $17.27 with shipping. :rolleyes:

Which fans are you guys choosing to replace the stock ones that come with the Norco RPC-4220?

PCDesmond,

I was originally going to go with WHS due to its cool automated backup features, but I've been considering using Windows Server 2008 instead, and either using an alternate backup application, or running WHS in a virtual machine. I've heard the performance of Server 2008 has improved since 2003, and somehow after building a fresh new system I just can't bring myself to install the same OS I was using 6 years ago. :)

I'm going to be using multiple RAID-5 arrays with the RR4320 for fault tolerance, and using some application (to be determined) to run nightly or weekly incremental backups of my crucial data onto an external drive. Therefore I dont have much need for the WHS Drive Extender either.

Is this a bad idea? Should I be sticking with WHS and keep things simple, or are the improvements of Server 2008 worth the upgrade?

Unwire.

Besides onboard video, what are the main diffrences between these two?

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H

Would one be more power efficient than the other?

I hear a lot about the GA-MA790X-UD4P, does the GA-MA790GP-UD4H have the same flexibility for manipulating voltages and such? Perhaps if the OP wanted to down clock his AMD Athlon II X2 240.

probabably none
primary goal for fileserver is to keep power drain as low as possible
so chosing the one with onboard video gives you cheaper solution and better power efficiency

Besides onboard video, what are the main diffrences between these two?

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H

Would one be more power efficient than the other?
There's really no major or main differences between the the 790GX and 790X chipset besides the onboard video. As a whole, the 790GX mobo would be more power efficient since there is no add-on card required as with the 790X. Their BIOs are roughly the same so you could lower the voltage with the 790GX mobo just as well as the 790X mobo.

Back