Need help - CPU fan won't spin up

taylort232

n00b
I am replacing my old motherboard and cpu with a new one. This is probably the 20th system I've built or so, and I'm in a real pickle. I purchased a used processor (e6300).

I am using all new components or previously working components from my previous setup, except for the processor and fan. Basically, the CPU fan won't spin up. I have the stock heatsink/fan from the retail package, and a Zalman 7700. Both of them "flicker" (ie move a little bit) when the switch is flipped but will not spin. Is it possible that this could be the CPU is fried, or is this a motherboard issue? Thanks for the help!

Gigabyte P35 mobo
Antec 380w Earthwatts PSU
E6300
2gb RAM

By the way, the PSU and video card fans (the video card has since been removed) both spin up.

perhaps the cpufan header is just blown? if so this *could* be an issue since I believe some boards won't boot or will give you an alarm without that header connected.

does the fan work connected via adapter to a standard 4pin molex?

I don't know, as I don't have an adapter. Can I make a crappy one? Is there any way that a fried CPU can cause the fan not to spin up?

I am replacing my old motherboard and cpu with a new one. This is probably the 20th system I've built or so, and I'm in a real pickle. I purchased a used processor (e6300).

I am using all new components or previously working components from my previous setup, except for the processor and fan. Basically, the CPU fan won't spin up. I have the stock heatsink/fan from the retail package, and a Zalman 7700. Both of them "flicker" (ie move a little bit) when the switch is flipped but will not spin. Is it possible that this could be the CPU is fried, or is this a motherboard issue? Thanks for the help!

Gigabyte P35 mobo
Antec 380w Earthwatts PSU
E6300
2gb RAM

So can you get into the BIOS? I'm not sure if your Gigabyte board this feature but mine has a auto CPU fan control option that ramps the fan up only when the CPU gets warm. This is assuming your PC boots in the first place of course.

No, I don't wait for it to post. If the cpu isn't fried I'd rather not fry it. I dont hear anything out of the speaker, so I don't think it posts.

I don't know, as I don't have an adapter. Can I make a crappy one? Is there any way that a fried CPU can cause the fan not to spin up?

yes. it would be easiest if you had a pair of sidecutters and an iron. I'd recommend stripping off whatever heatshrink/shielding is on there, and then clipping the cable in half, leaving plenty of room on the 3-pin molex side for when you reconnect it.

also: don't think so, no.

I suppose its possible, but whatever the problem, plugging it into a different power connecter is going to help us diagnose it.

Strange. I waited, and although there was no fan movement I got some speaker noise (sounded like a post error). Also took it out of the case, so probably not a short. What do you mean by try a different connector? Nothing is plugged in at all, so does that sound like the CPU is good?

No, I don't wait for it to post. If the cpu isn't fried I'd rather not fry it. I dont hear anything out of the speaker, so I don't think it posts.

As long as the CPU is properly seated you won't fry the CPU unless there's something wrong with the motherboard (ie. mobo supply too much vcore). The newer Intel CPUs will throttle if it gets too hot and removing the heatsink while stress testing won't kill the CPU, not that I recommend you test out this safety feature :p

Could it be a short?

You should try testing the pc out of the case with the bare minimum if you're having issues with the PC not booting.

OK, tried the fans in different connectors. The fans will not spin up when connected to the CPU fan connector or the SYS_FAN2 connector. They both spin fine when connected to the PWR_FAN connector. Bad mobo?

Strange. I waited, and although there was no fan movement I got some speaker noise (sounded like a post error). Also took it out of the case, so probably not a short. What do you mean by try a different connector? Nothing is plugged in at all, so does that sound like the CPU is good?

Chances of a fried CPU is pretty rare. You need to listen to the post message and figure out what it's telling you.

EDIT: just noticed you bought the CPU used... that changes everything :eek: unless the cpu was abused it's unusual for a newer CPU to just stop working.

Yeah I know. Never again.

I take it you don't have a spare 775 cpu lying around?

Let me get this straight, the title of your thread says the CPU fan won't spin but in reality your PC won't POST in the first place?

Well if you're not going to try to decypher the POST beeps your only recourse would be to buy a CPU from a local store like Fry's Electronics (preferably a store with no restocking fee) and test the CPU out on your machine. If it boots then you have a dead CPU and you're gonna have *fun* disputing that with the seller. If it fails to boot then it's either the PSU, RAM, or Motherboard and you're going to have swap parts around until you figure it out. I would try a new PSU after the CPU.

I've had this happen before when the cpu fan speed for the stock intel hsf is set to auto (default) in the bios. It would take about 5-15s for the fan to actually start spinning after powering on the system. The blade would flicker and slighty move, but never complete a full revolution sometimes before fully rotating. I never had a problem with it, the CPU simply didn't get hot enough for the fan to spin until after 5-15s.

I'm an idiot. It started to spin after kicking around in CMOS for a while. Thanks for the help!

Yeah/. That just means your chip is running cool. My friend has a e6300? maybe e6400 and the freezer 7 pro (with AS5) - when his computer first boots his fan is set at 12RPM. It takes a while for the CPU to warm up and then it starts spinnin at 500RPM.

Just means your heatsink is working well I guess

haha. makes sense I guess. I'd definitely turn that option OFF.

it really didn't make any sense for those who were saying a fried cpu would prevent the cpu_fan headers from getting power...

Back