Need help finding PCI bracket

FinalSight

n00b
I'll share pics of the beast I'm planning later, but for now I'm in the planning stages and am attempting to find the parts I need to make the crazy ideas in my head work.

The current situation: my planned build includes 2 motherboards in one case, a full size ATX board mounted normally (in a Lian Li V2000) and a second board mounted in the lower portion above the power supply on a custom cut bracket. For those who know the Lian Li's layout, it will go from the dual 80mm fan ports to the hard drive cages. A FlexATX board (such as those found in some well performing shuttles) will barely fit in that area with a little mod work.

The current dilemma: The easiest way to get the ports I need from the internal motherboard is NOT to cut up the back of my case for the motherboard bracket. This is plan B and I'm hoping to avoid it at all costs. The easiest way is using the spare PCI slots from the top of the case. I intend to face the motherboard ports inside the case, instead of towards the back. I can then easily run USB PCI brackets with motherboard headers down below in order to get mouse and keyboard, and then I'm going to take the PCI bracket off of an old AGP card and use a VGA extension cable to run to the graphics card on the lower board. My problem then is that I also want audio.

The solution to this, which I think should definitely exist, is a pci bracket that includes all of the general front ports on cases: Headphone, Mic, and USB ports. Firewire is not necessary. I need these ports to run to motherboard headers that I will neatly run to the FlexATX board in the bottom of my case.

So, please, Hardforum members.
Combine this: http://www.silverpcs.com/images/pci_coverplate_a.jpg

With this: http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2007/2440/AntecP190_Jacks.jpg

I have searched the internet for long enough and can't find what I'm looking for. I do believe that front panel boards exist with these ports but I really need these ports in the back of the case.

If there are any other suggestions for getting the lower board's ports to the outside of the case, my ears are open. My only two ideas have been cut my case and the PCI bracket idea.

can't really think of anything...

that sounds like a good idea, but you just probably need to cut up a case front and do all that. There'd be plenty of room on the pci backplates for all your ports, so maybe if you do end up cutting pci backplates, you would be able to put some of the ports on the vga one as well as the new one that you want to do.

are you also going to do power buttons on the back? because that is all i have seen done...

sweet, might have to get myself some of those...

what PSU?

this is turning into an awesome idea, i might have to do something like this myself...

I haven't seen any retail cable passthrough like that. Most people only have one computer per case. :)

You could, however, take this gem and perform some dremel surgery to a standard blank cover and get similar results.

As for power, you should be able to restart each system independently with that setup. They don't drop the power-on signal during a restart (the green wire on the ATX harness).
However, that splitter has both power-on signals going to the power supply. Both systems would need to be shutdown to turn off the power supply, and either one would turn it on.

(Aside: ATX brought the ability for the motherboard to turn on and off the system. They do this with the power-on signal. When the power supply is "off," it still sends a 5V standby voltage. When you push the power button, a simple circuit shorts the green power-on wire directly to ground, which tells the power supply to startup. When voltages stabilize, the power supply will bring the power-good signal (gray wire) to 5V, signaling the motherboard to begin bootup.)

mmm, looks good...

that looks exactly like what FinalSight needs...

FinalSight, what PSU are you going to use? you would probably need at least a 1000w psu, if not more for both systems, and i am really looking forward to this...

Its actually a 700w with a single 12v rail, but I'm hoping it will be enough to power the system. I eventually decided that it was just easier to pick up a quad usb pci bracket, and then use a usb mouse keyboard, and soundcard.

I was planning on using the x-fi usb soundcard, reviews say it works but it's totally featureless. But hey if it has sound, I'll take it. The second machine doesn't need to be top of the line.

I'm going to buy that 24 pin splitter and experiment with it. If I don't like how the machines power on or off, then I'll be mounting a 250w shuttle power supply directly above the motherboard, and cut up one of the 80mm fan mounts to get power to it.

Brain Recall posting that front connector thing is a huge help though, I'm going to order it and see how well I can cut up a pci bracket to make that work. USB sound card will be plan B, since I have an extra X-Fi Extreme gamer laying around which has a front audio connector on it (perfect for this use).

The 700w power supply:
Brand SILVERSTONE
Model DA700
+12V Rails Single
Modular Cabling Support Yes
+3.3V@24A,+5V@30A,+12V@58A,
[email protected],[email protected]

It will be expected to run:

GA-P35-DQ6 - main motherboard
E8400 C2D in main board
Shuttle SG31G2 - G31 chipset, support for 45nm and quad core (just in case I upgrade or put it back in the shuttle)
E6420 C2D - this is the processor I'm currently using, looking to upgrade and put it to use
8800gts 640mb in the main board
8600gt in the lower board - no extra power connector, and the VGA connector on the one I chose is flexible/detachable since it supports low profile mounting. Good for running that VGA cable through my case.
8400gs - second graphics card in the 4x slot of my P35 board - powers my third monitor
4 Hard drives - 2 74gb raptors in raid 0 on the main board, 400gb storage drive on the main board, and a 250gb for the second board.
MCP655 waterpump - will cool both cpus and my 8800gts
MCP355 waterpump - cools my main motherboard (nb sb and ram, I'm playing with buying mosfet blocks)
2 Sata DVD burners, one for each board
Several cold cathode lights
Floppy drive (I upgrade and tweak gpu bios a lot once I find stable clocks and timings)

Don't think I missed anything, and I already own most of those things. I'm upgrading my current liquid cooled machine in my lian li right now. It's using that psu with my DQ6, E6420, and 8800.

I'll also be upgrading my current Bawls bottle Resevoir to a Hennessy Cognac bottle. The bawls bottle turns heads but I think the Hennessy bottle will look really nice, its the perfect dimensions. It will have 3 input tubes and 2 output tubes underneath that won't be seen.

Back