need help getting ubuntu errors

xc_runner713

Weaksauce
when i try to load ubuntu it gets this start.exe error and it doesnt autorun either had to open it in my computer can someone help me with this

Need alot more information then that. Just based on what you have said in that one liner above, I have no clue what you said, let alone what the problem might be. If you need help with something, you should tate what you need help with in the topic. Themn elaberate the issue in the body of the thread. Provide several paragraphs of data..

1: What is the problem.
2: how can we duplicate the problem
3: what steps have you taken to solve it already.

This what we need. Anything less, is totally useless.

ok basically i downloaded ubuntu on another computer with a cd burner and then burned it to a cd now when i go to open the cd i get an error report that says start.exe has encountered a problem and it has this icon to the right of it that says opencd which is just a bunch of the free programs on it and when i click on the see what it contains it says
start.exe app version 0.0.0.0. modname ntdll.dll modver 5.1.2600.2180. offset 00013396
this is as far as i get but if i look into the cd it has all the ubuntu files just none of them can be opened

I don't really know how you are trying to install ubuntu, but you cant install it in windows. you have to restart your computer with the disc in the drive let your computer boot up and detect the cd. After the cd is loaded it will ask you to start ubuntu/install, select that and continue. When your computer starts up all the way you click install ubuntu on the desktop.

i tried restarting my computer with the disk in it and nothing happened it just booted windows like it wasnt even in there and i even watched this 9 minute video on ubuntu.com that showed this guy going through the steps to install ubuntu and he opened it in windows

i tried restarting my computer with the disk in it and nothing happened it just booted windows like it wasnt even in there and i even watched this 9 minute video on ubuntu.com that showed this guy going through the steps to install ubuntu and he opened it in windows

You have to go into the BIOS and change the boot priority to boot from a cdrom... The methods of doing this vary depending on what BIOS you have, but it shoot just be as simple as changing the boot priority.

Once you have the BIOS set to boot to cdrom, then you should be able to boot up the cd as normal and run the installer that way.

Another thing you may want to consider is re-downloading the iso, and re-burning it. It is entirely possible it got corrupted somewhere along the way.

yeah well my bios are kind messed up basically everytime i boot up i get overclocking failed something something press F1 to change settings press F2 to load default settings if i press F1 and change anything regardless of what i do i when i try and boot after changing i get the same message and then have no choice but to boot default settings then it runs fine its annoying as hell tho having to press F2 every time i boot up do you think reflashing my bios would help this

so is there any other way id be able to do this other than through my bios

i have some ami bios version 0301

There may be a boot-selector key option you can press while your computer is booting. For example, if I press F8 while on my POST screen, I can choose which device I want to boot first. See if you have this option.

yeah well my bios are kind messed up basically everytime i boot up i get overclocking failed something something press F1 to change settings press F2 to load default settings if i press F1 and change anything regardless of what i do i when i try and boot after changing i get the same message and then have no choice but to boot default settings then it runs fine its annoying as hell tho having to press F2 every time i boot up do you think reflashing my bios would help this

so is there any other way id be able to do this other than through my bios

i have some ami bios version 0301

If you go into the BIOS, you should have an option similar to "load setup defaults" if not, then you'll see something like "load optimized defaults" Select that, then press f10 to save the settings and reboot. Then go back in and change the boot priority. That is for award BIOS, I'm not sure about ami.... Though I'd bet it is prolly very similar.

Just browse around the bios until you see something similar to what I said, and then save the settings ....

I'm curious, xc_runner713, what are your expectations of Ubuntu? I think it would be interesting to compare your preconceptions to your post-install experience.

boomslang ftw i was able to choose my cd drive started installing ubuntu and got an error some crc error system halted or something along those lines am i gonna have to redownload this thing i hope not it took me 2 hours to download and i had to do this on my moms computer which is a friggin compaq yeah the ooold me edition ones but i have no choice to ask her to use it because it has a cd burner this alone is gonna make me buy a dvd burner once i get some money anyway my expectations out of ubuntu
1.its not windows
2.i can go on firefox,openoffice play wow and wc3 on it
3.knowing i wont ever have to spend xxx$ on a garbage piece of software that only keeps those prices high
4.looks like fun something different
5.free 64 bit os

Pretty much exactly who Ubuntu is trying to cater to. Just dont give up on it, and you'll be fine.

Get a good Burner!!!!! Stop mooching on your Mother!!!!! Get outta the basement!!!!!!!! Get a tan!!!!!

(just kidding :D)

all right so do i seriously have to redownload this thing and or reburn it onto a cd if so is there an option to delete whats currently on the cd should i get the 7.04 or the 6.06 lts version what does it mean by supported till 08 or 09 and just for your amusement 5 more reasons
1.this copy of xp pro sp 2 isnt mine
2. the guy i borrowed it from might want it back soon
3. no viruses to worry about
4. seeing how some of the more ignorant people who use my computer react when i tell them to deal with it
5. a few months ago i read an article on the inquirer that claimed to confirm that microsoft was releasing new updates for windows xp to slow it down to get people to by volsta that was basically the last straw for me

thanks your input is appreciated

5. a few months ago i read an article on the inquirer that claimed to confirm that microsoft was releasing new updates for windows xp to slow it down to get people to by volsta that was basically the last straw for me

i doubt that seriously. you have to take what you read on the inq with a grain of salt.

but otherwise, good luck with ubuntu it's loads of fun to tinker around with.

sometime today il try to redownload ubuntu and try it again finally some good news i passed memtest so i guess thats a plus il be able to get on the internet with everything that comes with this download

i have a question tho so im at this page http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
do i check this box when i download it? "check here if you need an alternate desktop cd this cd does not include the live cd instead it uses a text based installer"

sometime today il try to redownload ubuntu and try it again finally some good news i passed memtest so i guess thats a plus il be able to get on the internet with everything that comes with this download

i have a question tho so im at this page http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
do i check this box when i download it? "check here if you need an alternate desktop cd this cd does not include the live cd instead it uses a text based installer"

No you dont need to check that. Just get the regular CD.

Just to add, burn the ubuntu cd as an image/iso thats the way it needs to be burnt for it to be able to boot from.

If you keep having problems with it, then order a free ubuntu cd, they will send you a free one if you want but it will take a week or so to get to ya.

I think if you order the free one then you will get edgy instead of feisty but they are both decent enough, just that feisty aka 7.04 is a touch more advanced and has more bug fixes than edgy.

ok well if it doesnt work this time il order a free one hopefully it will have a cool looking ubuntu logo on it as well

this time its different when i put in the disk in windows it starts to run i see an ubuntu logo thing then i get a k-melon browser error but when loading it from bios im still getting the crc error

this time its different when i put in the disk in windows it starts to run i see an ubuntu logo thing then i get a k-melon browser error but when loading it from bios im still getting the crc error

A CRC error is usually indicative of corrupted data. Your downloaded .iso or your burn to disk may have been the source of corruption. You should try downloading the same .iso from a different mirror in case your original mirror's copy is bad, and then burn it at the slowest speed possible. This will cut down on burn-time data errors. You're sure you're burning it as an image, and not as regular data?

If it was regular data then he wouldn't even see the ubuntu logo I think, just a "can't boot from this device error...". Can you try a different burner? Are you using up-to-date burning software? (for the love of god, WinME =\ ) And try a different mirror as was already suggested.

i really dont know what to do i dont like borrowing my moms computer tho and for some reason her cd burning program doesnt have the capability of erasing burned content on the disks i clicked right and the option that said erase cd was faded and i couldnt click on it i tried everything have the so im a little reluctant to try again cuz i dont wanna burn thru to many disks because their not mine

seriously tho what takes them 6-10 weeks to ship something

No offense, but do they not teach punctuation or grammar in IL high schools??

i think its like adaptec cd creator or something like that but the first cd i burned at x8 and i wouldnt even run on the desktop the second cd i burned with the same download at x2 and i got the k-melon browser error

ok first do this, download CD BurnerXP pro 3 its free. Second open up the program and put a blank cd into the drive. After the splash pick the first option (create a new data cd/rw.....) after that go to file>write disc from ISO file... then at the top of the new screen (a small window there should be a select iso image to write. Press the ... button and pick the ubuntu iso image, set the write speed to under 4x. Now since you are using a re-writable disc, try going as low as you can (that has data written on it). I also suggest this might work better if you use a blank cd-r/rw, one that has not had data written on.

From after its done burning, keep the disc in your drive (if you have multiple drives you may have to move the disc). If the disc fails to boot, you have to either use a boot selector (esc) or (F8) at post to bring up the boot options. now I noticed you are having a bad overclock problem, try resetting your options in your bios to default and see if that fixes it, if not, then I really suggest you flashing your firmware from a dos disk. Make sure the firmware is the right version for your model, make and version.

I hope that helps.

Back