Need help in SFF decision

rusty

Limp Gawd
i want to go small, sense im moving back and forth from VT and home. i want to run an AMD with dual channel. i plan on getting 1gb of corsair xms pc3200. should i go with the sn85g4 or sn45g? im not sure if i should go amd 64 or not. plz help me with my decision im new to SFF.

Probably all comes down to your budget.

If you have the money get the SN85G4 V2 and a CPU to match it.

The Barton core is all about value for the money these days.

Depends on budget . the SN41G2/SN45G is hard to beat with XP2500Barton + 2* PC2700 sticks (dual channel memory controller)

The SN85G4/SK83G are the A64-754 pin options - I have an SN85G4 with XP3000+ and 9800pro and get 18666 3dmark 2001 at stock clocks, It is a bit noisy and runs warm for my liking but its good kudos at lan parties (no-one else has one where I go, loads of SN41G2's).

I'd go Athlon 64 if I were building a new rig. I'd like to point out though that Socket 754's don't do dual channel.

Glow said:
Ideq 200n > SN41G2/SN45G
Is there anything better about it than just having SATA? Does it O/C better? Does it run cooler? Is it cheaper? What?
Don't give a simple "What I think" > "What has been established by hundreds with more experience"

IDEQ is easier to install stuff into and has SATA. Other than that, FSB is limited to 200 and it runs hotter (on average).

will i lose a lot of performance without dual channel memory?
Ready the reviews right here on [H]. Short answer is no, you won't lose very much performance. And it's not that Shuttle's box is single channel; all Nforce 3 150 and Via KT800 chipsets are single channel.

well if u must have dual channel then forget the sn85g, theres a new amd64 shuttle on newegg for $310 can't remember the model but that has dual channel

From what I remember the socket 754 a64's don't require or don't even accept ECC memory. that's reserved for the socket 940's that use the opteron core. you can use regular unbuffered RAM if you're going to use the sn85g4.

i'm getting the new Imax Zmax DP in the next few weeks to start tooling around with...looking forward to that.. :)

cheers,

dave

Back