Need help/info on the HP J2600A Rackmount Server Hub...

iRoNgHosT

2[H]4U
So, I was at GoodWill today, and picked up 2 HP J2600A Rackmount Server Hubs for $10 each.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a place online where I could find a manual for these, so I know what goes where in this thing. They are huge, but I can't believe that I got two 13 port hubs for $20!

normal_HP%20Hub.jpg

That is what the thing looks like. I am running my cable modem through a Microsoft Gateway which feeds to my brothers room, and my Dad's computer, and an ethernet cable goes into my room, which is currently going through that tiny netgear hub.

How do I get the HP hub to recognize the gateway (router) and be able to connect to it, like the netgear is so easily able to do?

your going to need a crossover to hook it up to the router, unless the router has an uplink port, then use that to go to the hub

if you want to play with it you can get a null modem cable and hook it up to a serial port on your pc, load up hyperterminal and set it for a connection @ 9600/8/n/1/n usually what network stuff uses...

but you really shouldent have to configure anything unless there are some funky configs on there already

you should be able to get the manual off HP's website using the model # on the back of the unit.

I used to have a couple of these hubs many many years ago, pretty reliable until one by one the PSU's went pop (I was told the windings in one of the primary step up transformers was damaged), apparently a common fault with these hubs.... I still have a spare 10baseFL module I removed out of one of them (I threw away the chassis), I put the other in an AdvanceStack 24port Switching Hub, which I later sold on eBay.....

To connect to the hub for primary configuration of system, you will need a null modem cable (DB9 to DB9), these are relatively cheap and can be found on many network hardware supplier webpages and auction sites, e.g. eBay... Remember though that a straight through cable does not work with these...

Also DO NOT plug any pc's or network devices into the IN - OUT ports on the hub, these are for the stacking feature of the hubs (kinda like the Matrix port on 3Com's as an example)..... they are wired differently to an Ethernet connection, so will probably damage the NIC or network device if you plug anything into them....

You might want to however use the stacking ports as you have 2x of them, exactly what type of cable you will need to buy (I am unsure if a straight through CAT5 cable would work, I would not want to hazard a guess)....

Okay, so I have the HP hubs connected to my current netgear hub using a crossover cable, and then connected the two hubs together using another cable. I am currently posting this with my computer running through the first HP hub, which is then linked to the other hub, then into the netgear, then into my gateway. Wow.

So, the cable running to my Gateway is just a normal cable, and the gateway is quite a ways away, and it would be really hard to replace it all with crossover cable. Can I hook a crossover cable to the end of it using a female to female ethernet connecter, and then plug it into the hub?

Yes, you can use a coupler and just plug in a short crossover cable. You could also just chop off the end of the cable and crimp on a new connector with the proper crossover wiring.

I have an HP 48 port managed hub. A friend and I each got one at a computer shop for $60 I believe. We really didn't have a use for them but they were really cool. I loved going in and turning half the ports off and shit. Unfortunately, it is a 10baseT hub, and I didn't even have my 8 port switch filled, so it is not being used now.

Hmmm... It seems that I can only connect to the hub via Null Modem if I have an SNMP module installed.

I connect to it, hit enter twice, and it says :
"HP Console Port Operational"

So, yeah. I think I just wasted $8 on the null modem cable...

Though I now have it directly connected to my router! Yay!

You should still be able to control it directly through the console(serial) port. SNMP is used for management when you are connected through the network, so you don't need a direct connection to the equipment..

Back