Need help quieting a hard drive

L.L.C.

n00b
I just transfered cases, from a Sonata to a Coolermaster pac-t01 (praetorian) and the seagate 120 sata drive I have is rather noisy. I didn't notice this while it was in the Antec case, but then again the Sonata was on the floor, whereas I put the Coolermaster case up on the desk. Now I have looked around for some silencer type products, my only issue is most of them are removable drive cases, which I don't want. The internal enclosures that I have seen, well they just dont look like they will work. I'm open for suggestions if any of you have used some products that may help.

What kind of noise are you hearing? Vibration? Whining? Rattling? Whirring?

They all mean different things.

If you are hearing vibration or whirring, the first thing to do is isolate the hard drive from metal to metal contact. Best way to do that cheaply is with some rubber washers you can get cheaply at any hardware store.

Whining or rattling (assuming the mouting screws are tight) are signs of time to get a new hard drive. Typically means the bearings are going bad and your hard drive could puke any minute.

Vibration I think, gonna get some rubber washers and check to see if that helps at all, thanks for the suggestion, I'll post back to see if that helps at all.

I have the same drives and they are extremely quiet. Double check your installation, maybe something else is rattling. Otherwise, a really good way to get rid of vibration is to use some sort of system that completely detaches the drive from your case, like suspending it somehow. The SPCR link posted above is exactly what I'm talking about.

Back