Need Help Trouble-Shooting

rusty12

Limp Gawd
I’ve been having some problems with my computer for about 2 weeks now and I’m out of ideas for troubleshooting. My next step is going to be taking my desktop into a local PC shop for repair. Before I do that I thought I would try one more time and see if anyone can give me any ideas to try.

Here is a list of the symptoms and efforts I’ve taken to try and resolve the issues…

1. One day I start the computer and it begins giving me all sorts of weird errors and responding very slowly (I figure it is a virus/malware of some sort)

2. I decide to reinstall Windows Vista with fresh install so I have no future problems
a. During reinstallation of Windows on the 3rd screen (enter product key screen), as soon as I click my mouse, the installation stops responding and does not progress (essentially freezing during installation)

3. Ran memtest86, found memory full of errors. Replaced memory with two brand new sticks…ran memtest86, new sticks passed after running overnight.
a. Attempted to Windows Vista installation again, and still froze on third screen

4. Purchased new IDE DVD drive to use for installing Vista disc…installation still froze on 3rd screen

5. Used GParted and Cute Partition Manager in an attempt at deleting and reformatting my HDD.
a. After reformat of HDD, attempted install of Vista which resulted in installation freezing on the same 3rd screen. (*note*, after reformat, initial few screens before freezing on 3rd, seem to respond much faster)

At this point, I don’t know what else to try. I have no other spare parts to try and use for troubleshooting. My Windows Vista disc looks to be in good condition (no major scratches). The PC is useless at this time as I am unable to install Windows or do anything. Any ideas to try before I end up taking it into the local repair shop?

specs of PC in signature.

Thanks

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't this an issue with the vista discs pre SP1?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't this an issue with the vista discs pre SP1?

I remember reading some posts about this on Technet. As far as I recall, there were no posted 'solutions,' just a couple of success stories that involved waiting for hours for it to magically work. You may want to call Microsoft and see about getting a replacement DVD.

I also remember some issues with certain motherboards that caused install failure during the finalizing part, for what it's worth.

I have solved this "install freezing" problem by ejecting and re-inserting the disk a few times. Mainly you just have to wait.

OTOH, YMMV.

I have to say, that is possibly the strangest solution/bug I've ever heard of. Good luck, hope you don't have any more troubles!:D

Back