need help troubleshooting - MSI nVidia 8800 Ultra - Random Crashes

epblash

n00b
My computer has been randomly crashing since last night. I'll log into XP, wait for a couple programs to load, and then say when I'm going around Steam in the Steam community the computer will just freeze.

I'm dual-booting XP and Vista - the problem happens in Vista as well, plus I just reformatted and reinstalled XP this morning and I'm having the problem again even before I finish installing all of my drivers and the like, which is why I think its a hardware problem.

I ran the Windows Memory Management Tool, which came with Vista, and it hasn't turned up any errors.

Whenever I try to get a game to run before the computer crashes, the game causes the computer to crash, including Geometry Wars and Peggle Extreme which are otherwise not processor or GPU intensive.

DirectX was updated after I reinstalled XP, which didn't solve the problem.

Interesting thing is, I have a G15 keyboard and I have the clock running on the LCD. When the computer crashes, the clock stops, which makes me think that the computer has genuinely just plain crashed. However, I can open my DVD burner, and after I put in the XP CD when I was preparing to reinstall the burner accepted the CD, whirred up, and then quieted down like normal, even though the video, clock, and mouse were all unresponsive.

In the case of Geometry Wars, I would be able to close the program by hitting ctrl-alt-delete about 100 times in a row, alternating with the windows key, ctrl-shift-esc, etc, and after a couple minutes the game would minimize and I'd be able to close it. The Task Manager reported the game as running OK and it closed without having to force the process to stop, and Windows did not report a serious error or a driver crash or anything like that.

That's about it, I had trouble with this before when I was only booting Vista and the driver would constantly crash when gaming at high resolutions, that was about early August right after I first built the thing. I chalked it up to Vista driver crappiness at the time (x64 Ultimate), and it had gone away when I started dual-booting with XP. Now I'm not so sure.

Specs are un-overclocked Q6600, MSI nVidia 8800 Ultra factory-overclocked, eVGA 680i mobo, 2 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066 CAS 5. I don't think its the power supply cause I got a nice 750W PCP&C Silencer on this, and theres only 3 spindles to the system.

So, you guys think I should go through the time trouble of RMA'ing the 8800 or is there something else? I'm pretty pissed off right now cause I REALLY wanted to play through the Crysis demo this morning and get GH3 for the PC on Sunday :( posting this on the back-up C1D iMac.

Back