Need help w/ 6800GT

vlad_Swe

Weaksauce
Well, yesterday my Leadtek 6800GT (AGP) gave up on me. I was playing BF2, and all of a sudden I get these neat green / purple colors on the screen, a screeching sound and my computer reboots. After this, it seems that my computer reboots every time the Nvidia drivers are loaded, since the card works in safe mode and in VGA mode (without the Nvidia drivers).

This is the second Leadtek 6800GT card that has crapped out on me (first one was a DOA in June), and this card has worked perfectly since then. I've uninstalled / reinstalled the drivers, used DriverCleaner, but nothing seems to work. I'm now using an old GF4 Ti4200 card that runs just fine in the AGP slot.

Anyone had any similar experiences? It's still under warranty, but they say it might be hard to get a replacement card nowadays (I live in Sweden, btw). If I get my money back, what's the best VFM card for AGP today, that would run 1600x1200 in games?

Ive had a couple of leadtek 6800gt's crap out on me at the boot screen. Seems there was a faulty batch made back in november/ december 2004 that 'slipped' through QA.
In your case, it could be faulty memory on the gpu. Have you oc'd?
In my case, temperatures were an indication of my crapped out card, the faulty ones had idle temps in the mid 60s (C) but the one vie got now (which has worked fine for a few months so far) works in the low 50s and never gets above 55C.

I OC'ed a bit, but it never went above 62-63 degrees C fully loaded, compared to my Sparkle 6800GT (which died, non-OC'ed) that ran at about 75 deg C at full load.

I thought these cards were rated to run at least up to 80 degrees before you should start worrying?

They can go up beyond 80 with no problems.. sounds like you just got a bum card. Send it back RMA.

ya my leadtek A400gt lasted 4 months then crapped out on me too
i will not be buying another leadtek card

Mine was rock solid, even flashed it to an ultra and back and its still chugging along in it's new owners rig. RMA it.

Thanks guys, seems I've had a run of bad luck. Will return it and, since this is my third card from them that's crapped out, I'll ask for my money back and invest in a new rig instead.

Back