Need help w/ LP2475W issues and calibration

exper89

n00b
I just received on of these puppies and set it up last night. After semi calibrating it I am disappointed that it can't even come close to my old CRT in terms of color. The primarys, especially reds are way oversaturated, even after installing color management in firefox. To top it off, the text doesn't look all that great and its so damn bright I feel like it's going to burn a hole in my retinas. I was really hoping that the extra cash I dished out for an IPS panel would be enough to limit such issues.

So I am still trying to calibrate this unit and trying to get the colors close to satisfactory as possible. I would appreciate any suggestions or calibration settings I can try to get this close to acceptable.

I have several questions for you?

1. What do you mean by "semi-calibration"?
2. Are you using a hardware colorimeter to calibrate?
3. Did you actually manually adjust the brightness/contrast/RGB settings in the OSD?
4. Did you use Adobe Gamma or WinColor to import the correct ICC profile into your OS with the correct physical settings?

1. What do you mean by "semi-calibration"?
2. Are you using a hardware colorimeter to calibrate?
3. Did you actually manually adjust the brightness/contrast/RGB settings in the OSD?
4. Did you use Adobe Gamma or WinColor to import the correct ICC profile into your OS with the correct physical settings?

1. Calibrated but not with good results.
2. No
3. Yes
4. Yes

First of all, whack the brightness down to around 10, that will give the desired 120cd/m2.

Secondly, of course the reds are oversaturated - this is a wide-gamut monitor. Without a proper hardware calibration being performed this will be the case.

As for text, mine looks fine, but you need to take the time to tweak cleartype properly.

First of all, whack the brightness down to around 10, that will give the desired 120cd/m2.
http://hardforum.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
Secondly, of course the reds are oversaturated - this is a wide-gamut monitor. Without a proper hardware calibration being performed this will be the case.

As for text, mine looks fine, but you need to take the time to tweak cleartype properly.

With cleartype its a lot better but still can't get the oversaturated reds to tone down.

HP Display Assistant has sliders for the RGB Black Level (in addition to the RGB Gain the OSD lets you set). I found that reducing the red black level from its default 50 helped to some degree.

Thanks for everyones suggestions. Apparently the incorrect path was specified in Firefox so color management wasn't working properly. I can't emphasize what a night/day difference it made once the correct ICC profile was set.

I guess it's true what they say about this monitor, it really needs the correct calibration otherwise it's useless out of the box.

Also the text is definitely worse than a TN panel for sure? I was gonna buy one of these but considering G2400WD or V2400w or Samsung T240/T260 now.

Also the text is definitely worse than a TN panel for sure? I was gonna buy one of these but considering G2400WD or V2400w or Samsung T240/T260 now.

Text is in no way worse than TN panels. I must say that post-calibration colors in movies and games are very nice and better than my previous S-PVA panel.

Is this the color management add-on everyone is referring to?

Text is in no way worse than TN panels. I must say that post-calibration colors in movies and games are very nice and better than my previous S-PVA panel.

Many PVA and MVA panels are known to have bad text as well so claiming it's better than a PVA means nothing really.

It's either as razor sharp as a TN panel or it's not. Even a $100 TN panel has razor sharp text.

go to the screen menu - color - custom color - R=251, G=235 + B=242

then grab the ICC profile from TFT Central, will give you a pretty decent result - for me its spot on (i've had professionally output prints made and they were as i expected to see)

It's either as razor sharp as a TN panel or it's not. Even a $100 TN panel has razor sharp text.

Well, I compared the sharpness of my HP to other TN panels (i.e. Asus and Samsung) and I've found it to be just as sharp if not sharper.

Plus, even if you do manage to find a TN panel that is just as sharp, you're losing out on most other things except input lag and ghosting.

I forgot about the HP w2207 TN panel I had before, it also did not have good text, HP put some kind of oversharpening effect or something on it and the text would fringe making it look way worse than Samsung TN panel text. Maybe it's the same for the IPS in this panel.

I forgot about the HP w2207 TN panel I had before, it also did not have good text, HP put some kind of oversharpening effect or something on it and the text would fringe making it look way worse than Samsung TN panel text. Maybe it's the same for the IPS in this panel.

I don't think so. Like I've said, I compared the text in my panel to the Samsung T260 and ASUS VK246H and it was just as good if not better (from what is visible) than both of those TN panels.

I liked the sammy T220's text better than my 19" MVA. It looked great, even small text was clear and easy to read.

I hope the G2400WD I returned it for is as good or almost.

I don't think so. Like I've said, I compared the text in my panel to the Samsung T260 and ASUS VK246H and it was just as good if not better (from what is visible) than both of those TN panels.

Then why is the original poster plus tons of people in the official thread complaining about the text????????????

Then why is the original poster plus tons of people in the official thread complaining about the text????????????

There is lot of HP lp2475w owners out there who refuse to acknowledge the very bad text produced by this screen.

I have owned one and returned it for that very reason. Don't let anyone tell you that text is fine on their sample giving you the impression that your sample is faulty. It's not !

There is lot of HP lp2475w owners out there who refuse to acknowledge the very bad text produced by this screen.

I have owned one and returned it for that very reason. Don't let anyone tell you that text is fine on their sample giving you the impression that your sample is faulty. It's not !

I really don't know what you guys are talking about. I've been working with this monitor for several days and have compared it to others...no issues with the text whatsoever.

R0ach does not even own the HP....he's just going off of one thread where some people are complaining. My response is that you're always going to find people complaining about one thing or another...

I can say that my color issues are now fixed. But the text is still bad and even Cleartype didn't help much. So I'm still pondering whether to return this or not because 90% of the time I use it for text and the other 10% photo.

I can say that my color issues are now fixed. But the text is still bad and even Cleartype didn't help much. So I'm still pondering whether to return this or not because 90% of the time I use it for text and the other 10% photo.

What exactly is wrong with the text?

It looks a bit blurry, when you look close you can see colorful outlines in the text. My TN screen at work looks a lot better comparatively.

Definitely no issues with blurriness here. Text is very sharp.

As far as colors, when I put my eyes about 2 inches from the screen, everything looks colored and I can't stare at it for long. At a reasonable distance of 15-20" from the screen, text still looks sharp and perfect. No coloration/blurriness issues.

Definitely no issues with blurriness here. Text is very sharp.

As far as colors, when I put my eyes about 2 inches from the screen, everything looks colored and I can't stare at it for long. At a reasonable distance of 15-20" from the screen, text still looks sharp and perfect. No coloration/blurriness issues.

After turning Cleartype off the color issue is gone. Everything looks ok now.

It looks a bit blurry, when you look close you can see colorful outlines in the text. My TN screen at work looks a lot better comparatively.

HP's TN panels (w2207 and w2408) also have bad text. When you look at some text it looks normal, then when you pull down the bookmarks menu in mozilla, it looks all fried and fringed like they have sharpening overdone on it.

They probably outsourced the monitor development to india because that's all you can get on the HP phone line.

They probably outsourced the monitor development to india because that's all you can get on the HP phone line.

Strange. I spent 30 seconds talking to an Indian gentleman. He asked me the model number, checked the 'system', then gave me the correct number to call.

Text: ClearType can be tuned to get most text looking fine, ymmv, but I failed to tune it to the point where all text looked good. Finally I turned ClearType off and have been much happier since.

HP's TN panels (w2207 and w2408) also have bad text. When you look at some text it looks normal, then when you pull down the bookmarks menu in mozilla, it looks all fried and fringed like they have sharpening overdone on it.

Well sir, you are wrong. And you must have been dialing the wrong numbers. But nevermind that...go and order your Samsung TN.

For everyone complaining about bad text w/ ClearType enabled, simply use Microsoft's online ClearType tuner here and select one of the options that makes the font thinner (I use the middle profile listed on the bottom row) and BOOM the red fringe disappears. BTW you have to use Internet Explorer to use this tuner.

Back