need help w/ unstable computer

deanx0r

Limp Gawd
I just upgraded to an SLI configuration and have been plagued with sudden reboots when gaming. I currently only have HL2 installed, but the game would freeze or the computer would just reboot itself after loading the intro screen. The computer is unstable in SLI mode only.

I have noticed that the computer would hard reboot whenever it was underload while I had my 2000W heater on (plugged on the same outlet). I took it off and no more hard reboot occured. However HL2 would freeze now and then. I am suspecting it might happen when the central heater is running, and that it might just be dirty power that I am getting. Can a UPS help in this case?

I have tested about everything I could on my computer, and eliminated heat to bad hardware issues.

Here's what I am running:

Athlon X2 3800 @2.4GHz
2GB RAM @ stock speeds
eVGA NF41 SLI motherboard
eVGA 7800GT SLI @ stock speeds
2 hdds
2 optical drives
Fortron AX-500 PSU (460W)

I tried to run without oc, and would get the same type of crash as well. The oc is perfect fine when I am running w/ a single card.

You might have too much for your power supply. Is your psu rated for SLI?

Agreed, PSU seems a bit wimpy for SLI setup. Either that, or it's a heat related issue. If your comp isn't breathing properly, it'll get all jacked up.

Back