Need help with 3870x2 + World of Warcraft

ken328

n00b
I just got a GeCube 3870x2 to replace my 8800GTX. The problem I got is the FPS dropped from 45-60 to 20-25 in 25 men raids and outland city after the card change. This problem doen't exist with some other games I tried like Hellgate:London (DX9) and Tomb Raider Anniversary.

I tried to reinstall my windows XP SP2, display driver 8.1 and 8.2, elder and newest sound drivers, but it seems no help. I have no clue what's wrong now, I never overclock anything, here is my system config:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
Asus P5E with lastest BIOS
Adata DDR2 800 x 4 @ 5-5-5-18-2T
GeCube 3870X2 1GB
Creative Sound Blaster Extreme Gamer
WD Raptor 73GB x 2 @ Raid 0 (ICH9R)
Benq 16X DVD Writer
Delta Serverpower 650W (16A x 3 on 12V)
(also tried Antec Truepower 2 550 EPS12V)

I hope someone can give me some suggestion, WoW is the game I play with most of my free time, so I want it to run smooth.

The first question to ask is always... did you uninstall the nVidia drivers, then boot to Safe Mode and run Driver Cleaner Pro, then boot to Windows and install the new drivers?

Guess that Nvidia " The way it's meant to be played " logo must of been missed in the video options menu =P. I'm kidding =). The drivers still need some maturing. I've noticed that the 3870x2 is not playing nice at all with a ton of older games. A few threads on these forums & over at anandtech have people stating problems with the card in older games. Hopefuly it can be fixed in time.

Something seems odd though. My rig is not as fast as yours in a sense. I do have my Q6600 @ 3.0 ghz but I have a 8800 GTS & a SATA 3.0 HD. My WoW which is running at 1920 x 1200 never dips under 60 at all. All the settings are maxed with Vsync/Tripple Buffering enabled. Something isn't right in either cards case. Neither shouldn't be under 60 at all unless it's just one of those split second dips.

-DarkLegacy

Try the different timing modes in the config file. I can tell you are on the simplified one if your max is 60. I messed around with it and mine ranges from 200fps to about 35. Some places just murder my FPS, even though it shouldt, I blame it on the game since my graphic settings have no impact, 1024x768 with no AA no AF, still crap. 1280x1024 16x AF, 8x AA, about the same fps... hmmm...

Try renaming the WOW executable, to a game you know is running fine (Direct3D game). I was having sluggish performance with Universe At War and made a copy of the executable and renamed it to wic.exe (World in Conflict's executable name) and the performance jumped. I think there are some crossfire profile problems here and there.

My problem solved finally, you guess what? I think ATI is going to discontinue to enhance their driver for windows xp, at least for the Crossfire part. After 4 times of windows XP fresh reinstall, I decided to give vista 32 bits a try, with the official cat. 8.2 for vista, it just work with WoW and all other games I usually play !!! Now I am a happy man, getting 60fps (Vsync on) almost all the time in WoW.

Just curious why you went from the 8800 gtx to the 3870x2 for WoW. It's not the most graphically demanding game on the market, just curious is all. I mainly play WoW myself and was looking at getting an 8800gts to replace my 7900gto SLI setup.

After going to Vista32 did you try using your old 8800gtx again?

Again, just curious as you're doing something pretty similar to what I'm looking at.

i only play at 1280x1024, but wow was totally playable with max settings, including AA and AF on my 7600gt. I only upgraded to a 2900pro for future stuff, like AOC ;) and so I wouldnt have to buy my wife a new card, handidowns ftw.

Why would you buy a 3870 X2 to replace an 8800 GTX? :confused:

+1

That seems like a "side-grade" (to use a bit of WoW-appropriate lingo) at best. And a downgrade for WoW :/

I wish I had that kind of money to spend that I could change my video card at a whim.

You're a far more patient person than me. My 7800 GTX 256MB is driving me nuts. Then again it maxes out WoW quite easily

Well, the only two games I've been playing recently are WC3 and CS:S. It runs CS:S fine, and of course it breezes through WC3. I'm awaiting Conan, though.

Back