Need help with drilling plexiglass

lt.murda

Limp Gawd
I've got my plexiglass and I've built my wooden frame.Now I'm going to attach the plexi to the wood.Whats the best way to drill plexi?Put masking tape over the hoe(help to fight cracking?) and drill it?Should I drill it fast or slow or what?What kind of drill bits should I use?

Take the drillbit, heat it up, and push it through the plexi. It will melt through like butter and leaves a clean hole once you chip off the excess.

I've had sucess with a center cutting end mill if you have access to a drill press or milling machine....and run it slow, if you want to drill it.

MadMachinist stole my method mostly.
I usually put a bit of docile (non-conductive, non-corrosive, non-staining) oil on the drill bit or soap it up, so it doesn't snag up on Lexan. If you go slowly, it works very well. Gotta watch the temperatures, which is why the oil; reduces the extra friction and lets you run a bit cooler. The problem is finding oils that don't ruin polycarbonate (plexi.) Might try sewing machine oil.

and this is what happends when you drill, well i learned the hard way, heh
38.jpg

I've found that drill bits specifically meant for drilling Acrylic (Plexiglas) and Polycarbonate (Lexan) such as these tend to work very well. I haven't had any cracking, chipping, or splitting issues since I switched over to 'em...unlike what used to happen with wood/general purpose bits.

I've never had any issues with just going slow. A drill press makes it easy but not necessary. Masking tape on both sides helps to stop the drill wandering and prevent scratches.

Back