Need help with dual router home network

illig

2[H]4U
Hi all,

I need some help completing the setup of my dual router home network. Here is a 'diagram'

network.JPG

Hope you don't mind the super l33t mspaint network mapping technology :D

My problem is: The devices on router 2 can't connect to the print server on router 1, and i can't share files between the devices on different routers...

My question is: Is there any way I can make devices attached to router 2 obtain their IP addresses from router 1? i.e. how to make router 2 stop 'routing'? is it possible to turn a Netgear MR814 v2 into a simple switch, and is this something that would do what I want above?

When connecting the two routers, connect it via the normal network port's, not the WAN port. Disable DHCP on the second router and you should be set.

fibroptikl said:
When connecting the two routers, connect it via the normal network port's, not the WAN port. Disable DHCP on the second router and you should be set.

Thanks! that was exactly what I needed.

I've been looking for a way to do this for a while, but Netgear's documentation is lacking, and trying to google "turn router into switch" is hopeless...

What they forgot to tell you....change the LAN IP of the second router to something other than the default. Say the default is 192.168.0.1..well...you can' just take another identicle router, and uplink them via LAN ports. You'll have 2x devices at 192.168.0.1 on the same physical network..and..well...they won't get along very well.

So on your second router...change the LAN IP to something different, like 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.0.253...whatever...disable DHCP on it...make the SSID the same as your first routers WLAN....different channel though....same authentication....then uplink the two routers using your ethernet.

takt said:
What if you want wireless on both routers?
Doesn't matter, still will pull the IP from router #1.

YeOldeStonecat, I've found that using the same SSID just complicates matters. I still can't roam properly (seems to work ok with DD-WRT tho), and half the time my laptop wants to connect to the repeater rather than the original router. I'd just name the two wireless Bob1 and Bob2 or something equally as cryptic, just so I could specify which network to connect too.

0ldman said:
YeOldeStonecat, I've found that using the same SSID just complicates matters..

Huh...I've never found that...works fine in the couple of multi-WAP setups I've done.

Might come down to which router/AP or even which firmware.

WRT54GS with a WAP54G WDS repeater would not roam, absolutely dropped connection, then picked it up roughly 1 minute later.

WRT54GS and a WRT54GL, both running DD-WRT , GL as a WDS repeater has seemless roaming, however my laptop wants to connect to the repeater rather than the main AP even though signal is similar (-50ish dB). I'd rather have full bandwidth whenever possible. Change the SSID on the repeater and all is well, but no seemless roaming.

In his case I don't guess it matters, but the overlap or fringe areas might cause problems swapping between two stronger signals.

Not to hijack, but this thread helped me out and I have a question. I'm using the WRT53GL in conjunction with my RT31P2 (vonage router). I have the DHCP enabled on the RT and disabled on the WRT. Works great.. can access everything I need to. My proble is that I can't log into the WRT now.... it just times out. I didnt' change the IP of it (didn't conflict with the RT) but still, I can't log into it. I can log into the RT. Oh, and my PC is plugged into the WRT.

???

Thanks in advance.

cfetter79 said:
I didnt' change the IP of it (didn't conflict with the RT) but still, I can't log into it. I can log into the RT. Oh, and my PC is plugged into the WRT.

Most likely your subnet mask assigned by DHCP is 255.255.255.0, as such, you can only see devices in your IP range (Assuming 192.168.0.XXX). If you use 255.255.0.0 you will have no issues talking to the other router.

I can't select that. That's a drop down menu with about 6 different options.. that's not one of them.

Never mind, just changed the ip of the RT to work with the ip of the 54.

Thanks for the help tho.

Back