Need help with SSD and PCIe Raid Controller

sethmo

2[H]4U
I installed a Crucial M4 SSD in my work computer a few weeks back(Lenovo S20) and received a decent performance increase over my old spinning drive(Will have to find the SS of Disk Mark), but the S20 motherboard is only SATAII, so I bought a Highpoint 640L PCIe 4x raid controller.

I installed it in the PCIe 4x slot, the SSD on Port 1 of the card and booted the PC up. The card's BIOS booted up, searched for the card, found it, then proceeded to post.

In post, I get this error:
Code:
Expansion ROM initialization failed - PCI Mass Storage Controller on Motherboard
Bus:05, Device:00, Function: 00

After the error, it proceeds to boot into Windows. Once booted up, I get horrible SSD performance, < 80mb/s read/writes in AS SSD.

I updated the motherboard's BIOS from Lenovo's site and went through the BIOS settings, but did not see anything that stuck out.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Last edited:
Anybody have any suggestions?
Try your drive connected to the SATA II ports. If they are intel ports they will be faster than the SATA III ports from highpoint anyways when it comes to latency which is more important for a SSD unless you copy large files around all day.

Last edited:
It works fine if connected to the motherboards SATAII slots. It will boot when connected to the card, but just with slower than platter drive speeds. I am starting to think that it is just not compatible with my motherboard.

Normally you get these errors when your out of expantion rom space. Normally disabling some other rom's will help, like turning off boot from lan, and anything else that might be on, that you don't need to actually boot.

I disabled boot from LAN and also the onboard SATA controller, but still had the same issue. Anything else you would recommend disabling?

Back