Need Help With Starcraft + Vista

I've been wanting to get back into starcraft for a while. Right now I have 32 bit Vista Ultimate installed. Starcraft won't seem to start correctly. Once I load it up, it may show the loading screen or even get to the main screen witha ll the menus and such, but then it will pretty much do 1 of 3 things. It will either turn black, the colors will get all messed up and an image will freeze on the screen (like Kerrigan's face all pink and green), or a combination of the two. Also, all the sounds still work and I can move the mouse around and hear it mousing over the different menu items, so it can pretty much be considered a display problem.

I have tried running in every single different compatibility mode possible and still nothing. I did reinstall it one time and it worked perfectly, but then I quit out and patched it. When I restarted it it wouldn't work, so I tried again, and again, and again yet nothing. It has never done that perfect load up ever again.

I have an 8800GT with drivers as indicated by vista 7.15.11.7516 (I forgot exactly which I installed last). Rest of rig in sig, if need anything else. I read on some other places that nvidia drivers could be the problem, but I'm not sure.

I thought if anyone could help, it would be the people here at [H]. :)

So please help if you can!

Have you tried using the downloadable copy from their store - http://www.blizzard.com/store/ ?

Simply make an account and register the game's CD key and then you can just download it. I haven't tried the downloadable version on Vista yet so I am not sure if it will give the same errors or not, but it is worth a try if no one else has any input.

Downloadable version loaded up on my 64-bit Vista Business desktop in my sig just fine.
Really stretched out but oh well, it works.

I think your problem may be less direct than just the operating system, as I've had no problems running StarCraft from the standard CD on Vista over the past year with no compatibility alterations, nor has a friend of mine. It worked both unpatched and with the latest patch, so that's probably not it. I've gone through countless driver changes during that time, so I doubt that's it either. Sorry that I can only help with what isn't the problem.

The colors were always messed up for me, (on vista) at the menu screens and such it sucks but when your in game you can only notice it in the water, didnt bother me enough to try to fix it.

FYI, it's not just my colors, there is no display itself to actually play or even look at the menus in case my first post wasn't clear (sorry about that).

I'm dling the online one right now as I type this. Here's to hoping. :)

I successfully downloaded it and I'm trying to go through the installer right now. It asks for name and 26 digit CD key. Maybe my SC is old because I only have a 13 digit key. Am I missing something here?

I successfully downloaded it and I'm trying to go through the installer right now. It asks for name and 26 digit CD key. Maybe my SC is old because I only have a 13 digit key. Am I missing something here?

Use the key they provide on the site. If you haven't noticed, whenever you register the original SC they automatically give you StarCraft Anthology (original + expansion). This has a 26 digit key which is found on the site.

Use the key they provide on the site. If you haven't noticed, whenever you register the original SC they automatically give you StarCraft Anthology (original + expansion). This has a 26 digit key which is found on the site.

Oh, sorry about that. I checked again, but I guess I missed it. Thanks a lot.

Bad news. I downloaded it through the blizzard site and installed and everything. Same problem. :(

just a quick suggestion. do you have the latest drivers for both your video card and your motherboard chipset? a lot of people forget to update their chipset drivers.

I don't know if you're using Xfire, but with my StarCraft, I can't use it or it messes up my game like your description.

I have the same problem with starcraft. Usually the colors are ok during the game, but the menus are always crazy colors. Did not have this problem with XP as far as I can remember.

I don't know if you're using Xfire, but with my StarCraft, I can't use it or it messes up my game like your description.

wow! I can't believe that was it. I feel stupid now. :p

Thanks for all your help guys, but I guess the problem was just xfire. lol. I learned about that nifty blizzard online account though, was able to register SC, WC3+FT, and DII+LoD.

Thanks again for helpin me out.

The colors were always messed up for me, (on vista) at the menu screens and such it sucks but when your in game you can only notice it in the water, didnt bother me enough to try to fix it.

I have the same problem with starcraft. Usually the colors are ok during the game, but the menus are always crazy colors. Did not have this problem with XP as far as I can remember.

Disable Aero. I did this and colors were perfect afterwards. I enable Aero and colors are messed up again, pretty easy to see what the culprit is. :)

Try the various compatibility modes. Right click the shortcut > Properties > Compatibility tab.

Back