Need help with Video Card

deeplove

Limp Gawd
I hope I'm in the right section, so forgive me if I'm out of place here. But I need some help with a new 24" Gateway that I bought.

I also have a Gateway PC but the PC doesn't have any DVI connections. What I do need help in is finding a good and cheap card that can hold up to Internet and Photoshop purposes on the 24". I won't be gaming on it and I won't be using it for PC movies. That's why I have the 360 for.

I'm getting tired of switching the monitor to the PC and 360 with the VGA all the time. Can someone help me out here?

Please remember that I don't need it for movies and games. It's strickly for Photoshop, Internet and work.

PCIe or AGP?

Doesn't really matter... just get a 7600gs and you'll be fine.

What's the difference from the 2?

Oh, and I guess I should add that I'm running Vista, 1GB, 350GB HD and Core 2 Duo I believe.

I'm sorry about bumping this thread but I really need to know what's the difference from the PCI and AGP. Is the PCI better?

Will the 7600GT be good enough for what I want to do?

PCI-Express is a newer type of bus that supports high-speed graphics cards, as well as other types of devices like NICs, SATA controllers, RAID controllers, etc.

AGP is an old, end-of-life bus that supports only video cards.

They are physically and electrically different slots, and are not compatible with each other.

As a general rule, you will have one or the other, except for a very uncommon ECS board, which has both.

If you can post a picture of your motherboard, we can tell you which you have and advise you as to which card would best fit your needs.

Man, as far as the mother board goes, I couldn't tell you. All I know is that it's a Gateway GT5408 PC. How can I find out without taking the thing apart?

Intel® 945G DH Chipset

I have another question and sorry for the double post.

When I get the new card, I noticed that it has 2xDVI outputs. My question is how do I connect my regular monitor that's only VGA? Oh, and do I have to take out my original card? Can't it stay in there?

I have another question and sorry for the double post.

When I get the new card, I noticed that it has 2xDVI outputs. My question is how do I connect my regular monitor that's only VGA? Oh, and do I have to take out my original card? Can't it stay in there?

If you have more than one PCI-Express slot x16, or if your current video card is a PCI-Express x1 card, then you can leave the old one in. If you have only one place to put a new video card, and the old video card is in that spot, you will have to take the old one out. If you are using integrated video currently, it is kindof a crapshoot on whether or not the integrated video will work with another video card at the same time. Standard practice is to disable integrated video when you install a graphics adaptor.

As or the 2x DVI ports, the video card should come with at least one DVI to VGA adaptor that will let you plug your monitor in. If it doesn't (and it certainly might not), you can get one at a place like CompUSA pretty cheaply. They are universal, as far as I know.

which type of help??? may you concretizite your question about your trouble???

If you have more than one PCI-Express slot x16, or if your current video card is a PCI-Express x1 card, then you can leave the old one in. If you have only one place to put a new video card, and the old video card is in that spot, you will have to take the old one out. If you are using integrated video currently, it is kindof a crapshoot on whether or not the integrated video will work with another video card at the same time. Standard practice is to disable integrated video when you install a graphics adaptor.

As or the 2x DVI ports, the video card should come with at least one DVI to VGA adaptor that will let you plug your monitor in. If it doesn't (and it certainly might not), you can get one at a place like CompUSA pretty cheaply. They are universal, as far as I know.

that's right

Back