Need help with window installation.

tylerdustin2008

[H]ard|Gawd
I have recieved my 3mm window from performance-pcs. And i am wondering what is they best way to cut up my side pannel on my P-180. I do have a dremel tool. Also using a dremel tool how do i cut the window as well.

Oook. Tape the entire thing off with a good 4-5 layers of Masking tape, this will prevent "stray cuts" from gouging the paint on your panel.

Then draw the shape you like on the panel, make sure it's perfect.

Attach the re-inforced cutoff wheels to your dremel (the large black woven ones) and proceed to cut.

Let the blade graze the metal, slowly cutting into it. Don't go straight through on the first try, let it dig in about 1/4 of the way each time.

Now you're through, Slowly move the dremel around the straight lines of your cutout, starting each new hole the same way as you did above.

To finish cutting each straight line, slowly let the cutting wheel slice away at the metal, dont "force it". You should be using almost no pressure, the friction and heat will be what cuts it. If you press hard, your risk ruining your dremel wheels.

Rounded corners are a bit tricky, but what I do is cut them like you started your first cut. Just go through a bit of the metal at a time, I'd say take 5-6 passes until it cuts all the way through.

After it's cut out, use some files to shave it down until it's all perfectly flat, chances are you're going to need it. You can remove burrs with a larger file, then sand the whole thing down with about 200 grit sandpaper.

Remove the tape, and apply a window moulding if needed. Then, affix it however you want. I like 8 evenly spaced bolts... Velcro and Glue work too.

Thanks for the help, but i fu**** it up already. The P-180 has a layer of plastic between the metal. and it messed me up, oh well. I should have a new side pannel in the mail soon. As i ordered one like a month ago from Antec. The plexi cracked on me while i was drilling a hole for a fan mount now i have a huge crack in it. And the pannel does not fit on like it should. But i will have to fix that later, i was bored, and wanted to try it. I also bought a psu sleeving kit. And all the things that came with it were either 2 big or 2 small. I am good with metal, not with fine details. And i am sad it does not look like what i wanted.

I bought a jigsaw on eBay for about $25 and it had the laser guide and everything. Get a couple of metal blades and it makes large cuts like windows much easier than using a dremel.

Back