Need help.

I seemed to have narrowed down my problem. My computer, after being on for a while, won't load games. The games just freeze and I have to ctrl alt delete to get out and end the process. I called ASUS and they said it wasn't the motherboard, but probably the RAM. I upped the voltage from 1.8 default to 2.2 since the ram runs at 2.2v.

Do you guys think this sounds like a ram issue? I've never delt with this so i dont know. Could it maybe just be the timings that I need to adjust? Or does this sound like a bad stick of ram?

Well, obviously id say, if the memory is meant to run at 2.2 and you were running it at 1.8, that is possibly the problem. Timings also could be an issue. Although, my initial reaction is, if it isnt loading game, perhaps its video card related? Or driver related?

So why would it only fail to load the game after the computer has been on for a prolonged period of time? And the game "loads" to a certain point where it freezes and lags like crazy until I have to close it.

As for the voltage, I put it up to 2.2 the day I got it so it should've been operating correctly since day 1. I'm thinking if anything, its bad ram or bad timings.

I think it is the RAM's fault if it needed to be at 2.2 and it was at 1.8. From my experiences, undervolted RAM acts just like bad RAM or RAM that's way too OCed.

I seemed to have narrowed down my problem. My computer, after being on for a while, won't load games. The games just freeze and I have to ctrl alt delete to get out and end the process. I called ASUS and they said it wasn't the motherboard, but probably the RAM. I upped the voltage from 1.8 default to 2.2 since the ram runs at 2.2v.

Do you guys think this sounds like a ram issue? I've never delt with this so i dont know. Could it maybe just be the timings that I need to adjust? Or does this sound like a bad stick of ram?

You may want to list your complete system spex as well as your bios settings that relate to CPU, RAM, and voltages. There's not really enough info to go on here.

Asus p5n32-e sli plus
EVGA 8800GTX superclocked
Patriot Extreme PC2-6400 800mhz 2GB (2x1GB)
Intel Core 2 E6400 conroe LGA775 with zalman heatsink
PC power and cooling silencer 750 quad
Seagate barracuda 320gb
Windows XP SP2

Anyways, I just used memtest86, the newest version of it, and after I left it on for 11hrs, it produced an error. I can give you guys the specs of the error if you want, but it does seem the RAM is the problem.

The RAM is rated at 2.2v and the default BIOS had the voltage at 1.8v. I read plenty of comments on the ram I bought and everyone said that with the board and ram I have, they had to manually set the voltage in BIOS and then everything worked perfectly.

If you guys think I should maybe manually set the clocks, then I could try that out. But if i'm getting an error, I think I might just want to return the RAM before the 30 day return is up.

I think it is the RAM's fault if it needed to be at 2.2 and it was at 1.8. From my experiences, undervolted RAM acts just like bad RAM or RAM that's way too OCed.

It has been at 2.2v the entire time since I set it manually the second I got my computer together. It's never been undervolted since the voltage has been where its needed to be. I also checked in CPU-Z and everything seems where it needs to be.

Here you go guys, take a look if you want. And also, my 8800GTX is idle at 55 celcius if anyone cares.

Do you guys think that since I had 1 error in memtest86, that I should take advantage of my 30 day return policy and just exchange the ram?

Let it run at the SPD. I bet if you change from 1T to 2T, you'll get no errors and you'll even be able to tighten your timings. I built two computers for people recently on the P5N-E SLI and I couldn't get 100% reliable operation at 1T at all. I guarantee it'll be fixed once you switch to 2T.

Looks like your motherboards slightly overvolts the DD2 items, try turning the voltage down 1 tick in the bios.

Let it run at the SPD. I bet if you change from 1T to 2T, you'll get no errors and you'll even be able to tighten your timings. I built two computers for people recently on the P5N-E SLI and I couldn't get 100% reliable operation at 1T at all. I guarantee it'll be fixed once you switch to 2T.

Yup set it to 2T and it won't be a problem anymore. Sadly 1T is hard to get stable with DDR2 at those speed. Fortunately for me I am lucky enough to have it stable on mine eheh but I am certain it's the reason you are unstable.

Ok, I just took the timings down to 4-4-4-12 2T @ 2.16v, gonna see how things test out, but thanks a lot guys, I appreciate all the help.

Ok, so I'm still getting the same problem with my games not loading all the way. For some reason they just open to a certain point and then never work. Since i've got the RAM timings set as they should be, should I be concerned that its the motherboard giving me problems with loading games?

Is this a totally new build or, did you migrate some parts from another rig and is it a totally clean install of the OS after a format?

This is a totally new build, totally new hard drive, totally new install of XP with an immediate update to SP2.

I'm just gonna get a refund for the Patriot RAM, try some Kingston HyperX and if that doesn't work, then I know for sure its not the RAM.

I'm gonna guess the graphics card can't have anything to do with this problem, right? And what about Windows XP SP2, it can't be that since this sounds more like a hardware issue, right?

Either way, i'm wanting to take advantage of the refunds while I can so I don't have to go through the manufacturers support. I'm gonna guess that if the RAM doesn't do it, its gonna be the motherboard. If so, i'll exchange that out while I can.

Back