Need Help!!

IRTxert

n00b
Yesterday when i restarted my computer, the HP screen stayed for a long time before booting up, and when i got into WinXP, there is no CD/DVD drive!! I restarted several times and it was only normal for once.
Today the same problem happened.My computer doesn't recognize CD-Drives and takes a long time to start.and i was unable to fix it!

SO what should i do? I'm sure it's not a win-xp driver problem, because it was not possible to boot from CD , either. And i opened my case to make sure every cable is plugged in tight...

can anyone help me? is this a mobo problem or a bios problem?

and in the configuration screen at startup, it doesn't show any CD drives.

Try unplugging. Start it up. Pluggin it back in. Start it back up. Make sure th light comes on if not it COULD be a power issue. Otherwise I'm not sure if its still nto working. I had a similar problem b4.

I tried many times, the power is always on. so i don't think it's a power problem

oh and one thing i forgot to mention:

if i swich slots of the two IDE cables (one for the CD and one for HDD) on the CPU side, it's the HDD that doesn't work, so i don't think it's a Cable problem or CD-rom problem..it seems that slot on the mobo is broken,

what should i do now?

Did you switch cables when you changed slots? Rule out the IDE ribbon cable, otherwise yes it sounds like a motherboard problem.

no i didn't switch cables, i just switched slots...im new at this butr would flashing the bios help?or is there a way to make it work without buying an mobo?

is there a way to fix that slot?

how about those controllers that make more ide slots?

And I know the cable works because it works on another computer

Back