Need HTPC-like case for gaming build

GautLSU

Weaksauce
Guys,

I'm helping a buddy with a new build. Before I start picking out components, I need some assistance with finding a case. Please redirect me if I'm in the wrong forum (seems like the HTPC is more about the functionality of HTPC's)

His wife demands that the computer must "lay down flat" so as to match other components in living room. I think it's gonna be on a desk... so if you're wondering why he can't just tuck a tower away... who the hell knows. However wife insists. He says as long as it lays down flat then she'll be okay with it. This will be mainly a gaming/general use PC, not a HTPC in function. He has an XBox 360 anyway.

As I understand it, there are cases out there meant for HTPC that do indeed lay flat and are made to match home theater components in finish. I'm thinking this is the 'look' to go for. Then there are small-form factor cases that are meant for small footprint, or portability. Both of which have certain size restrictions.

I'm not really sure which direction to shop. I figure he'll need room for a high-end graphics card (think 5850 or 5870), two hard drives, a disc drive, power supply etc.

Since his overall price range is around $1500, I'm thinking we could go to the ballpark of $150 for the case. After all, appearance is what's calling the shots. Any suggestions you can throw out are appreciated!

Cliffsnotes: Please suggest HTPC like case for a gaming pc

Well there is gaming and gaming, it depends on what you really want to do.

For a low profile general use HTPC you could go with the following:
- Silverstone LC09 case
- Zotac ION-F-E
- 2.5" HDD
- 2GB DDR2 RAM

And it would do.

If you want something more sophisticated that can merge with home theater equipement:

- Silverstone GD04
- Gigabyte P55M-UD4
- Intel Core i5 750
- XFX Radeon HD5770/5850
- Corsair VX550
- 4GB Corsair XMS3

That would be my pick anyway

Take your Pick! Those are all ATX so you can fit jsut about anything you want other then being mindfull of video card length. The Lian Li ones I think would have no problem with a 5850 if the fan that sits below them is relocated.

Edit: I just realized the newegg search filter diddnt do so hot so some of those are mATX cases. Which just means to know if you need a smaller motherboard, but anymore that doesnt mean a hit in performance or features.

Take your Pick! Those are all ATX so you can fit jsut about anything you want other then being mindfull of video card length. The Lian Li ones I think would have no problem with a 5850 if the fan that sits below them is relocated.

Edit: I just realized the newegg search filter diddnt do so hot so some of those are mATX cases. Which just means to know if you need a smaller motherboard, but anymore that doesnt mean a hit in performance or features.

Thanks guys! This is helping me understand my choices. A true ATX compatible HTPC case should be able to fit just about all standard configurations right? Essentially, they appear to be mid-towers configured on their side. We're not talking about dual-GPU or even after-market CPU cooling, but I'd like to be able to fit a 5870 in case we want to.

It appears that there are some mATX-only cases that can fit a high-end video card, such as the Silverstone GD04B suggested above. Obviously, the 'slim' low-profile ones are a no-go for a gaming rig. But am I risking running into other fit problems by going this route? Seems like it's just a difference of a couple inches in depth/width. On that note, is there a 'will it fit?' list out there that addresses HTPC cases? (I've seen the one for SFF cases) [Edit-- Looks like Silverstone gives that info on their website.] Or any other suggestions for mATX only that can handle the larger video cards?

I'm liking the look/layout of the Silverstone and Lian-Li cases (the PC-C33b looks sweet). Probably going to prod him into choosing one of those just so I can have the peace of mind that the build will go smoothly.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! This is helping me understand my choices. A true ATX compatible HTPC case should be able to fit just about all standard configurations right? Essentially, they appear to be mid-towers configured on their side. We're not talking about dual-GPU or even after-market CPU cooling, but I'd like to be able to fit a 5870 in case we want to.

It appears that there are some mATX-only cases that can fit a high-end video card, such as the Silverstone GD04B suggested above. Obviously, the 'slim' low-profile ones are a no-go for a gaming rig. But am I risking running into other fit problems by going this route? Seems like it's just a difference of a couple inches in depth/width. On that note, is there a 'will it fit?' list out there that addresses HTPC cases? (I've seen the one for SFF cases) [Edit-- Looks like Silverstone gives that info on their website.] Or any other suggestions for mATX only that can handle the larger video cards?

I'm liking the look/layout of the Silverstone and Lian-Li cases (the PC-C33b looks sweet). Probably going to prod him into choosing one of those just so I can have the peace of mind that the build will go smoothly.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Actually pretty much ANY ATX or MATX case as long as it supports full height video cards should be able to hold a pair of 5770's as there typically no longer then the motherboard which will get you 5870ish performance. In fact the 5870 will be harder to accommodate due to its length.

Actually pretty much ANY ATX or MATX case as long as it supports full height video cards should be able to hold a pair of 5770's as there typically no longer then the motherboard which will get you 5870ish performance. In fact the 5870 will be harder to accommodate due to its length.

Hmm, that's good to know as an option. I didn't consider going to two shorter cards with equivalent performance. Still, I prefer single-card systems and would hate to box him in, so to speak, from ever upgrading to a large card in the future.

This guy isn't [H] or anything close. He's not going to tinker or overclock etc. Just wants a new gaming rig that fits his wife's demands. In fact, he's most concerned about Starcraft 2, which is a less demanding game. But he'll also play some FPS along the way. For me, it's just build it as future-proofish as possible for the budget and forget about it.

I have the GD04 and it fits a 5770 easily. I like the look, it is the perfect match for my home theater setup. It looks just like my receiver.

I think the 5870 is a little longer. The case could accommodate a half inch or maybe even an inch easily (haven't opened it up in a while) but I wouldn't want to put in anything much longer than that. Even if it fits, the video card is almost the height of the case and wiring would be a pain. But again, a 5770 fits easily so if you go mid-range, you shouldn't have any problem with gaming.

Back