Need ideas for File Server case

q2brass

Weaksauce
I am upgrading my file server and need a case with tons of space for 3.5" drives (10 or so?). I would prefer an option for easy installation and removal of hard drives. I need maybe 2x5.25" bays for optical drives. Also, would like to make sure the drives don't sit right on top of each other and have plenty of ventilation.

Also, what do you guys think of the Icy Dock MB455SPF-B?
http://www.icydock.com/product/mb455spf.html

Any alternatives to this?

Thanks for any help.

Do you really need 2 x 5.25" bays for optical drives?

Slightly cheaper 5in3 hotswap bays:
$73 - Norco SS-550 5 Bay Hot-Swapable SATA Backplane
$95 - Supermicro CSE-M35T-1B Black 5 Bay Hot-Swapable SATA Backplane

Oh and obligatory Norco recommendation:
$290 - NORCO RPC-4020 4U Rackmount Server Case

I was originally thinking of going with a Full Tower case, however, that NORCO case is nice. Thanks for the finds Danny.

Last edited:
If price was no object this case might fit the bill ABS super tower it has 10 hot swap sata bays and got some decent reviews from egg users (take them with a grain of salt.)

I think I'm going to go with the Norco RPC-4020, it seems to fit my needs better. Although, I think I need to invest in a Rack for the house now. :p

I think I'm going to go with the Norco RPC-4020, it seems to fit my needs better. Although, I think I need to invest in a Rack for the house now. :p

You could always remove the handles/ears on the side of the case and stand it up. Then it'll be a very tall/large ATX tower case.

What do you guys think of the 3500 series HighPoint Rocket Raids? 3530 or 3560?

Back