Need new GPU, question re: PCIE 1 and bios

ceolstan

Weaksauce
My EVGA 8800GTS has gone to computer video card heaven. Every once in a while, and especially during gaming though it also happened when web-surfing, the video would freeze, fade out, and I'd have the "No video input" message on the monitor. Clearly this is a video card problem, and so I dusted out the card, monitored the temperatures. No temperature spikes were seen. The other day, my game froze and needed a reboot. Loading up the game, I was treated to a very interesting fractal pattern. I'm told this is the sign of a bad video memory chip. My computer specs are pretty much what you see in my sig. I have an OCZ Gamestream 600W psu. Outside of the video card, I've not upgraded anything. This means I'm using a P965 chipset with a PCIE 1.0, not 2.0 slot. I would anticipate a performance hit. If I go with say, a 260GTX, will I need to go do a bios update in preparation? I think I remember reading elsewhere that the P965 boards may need a bios update to make the 200 series stable. So far, I've not updated the bios. In general, I figure that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This doesn't apply to upgrades, of course. Long term plans for the machine are to build a new rig in summer 2010, and to do the BIOS upgrade and toss in a Wolfdale cpu while I'm at it. The box will then be given to my mom, who is running a 9 year old computer with 500MB RAM that barely loads Windows. For her uses, an older machine would be just fine. Should I wait to see if I have problems before I update the Bios, or should I update in advance because this is what one does? Is a 260 a total waste of money given the specs of the machine? Thanks, --ceolstan

bake it, wait until ati released 5000 series, if they fancy you buy them, or buy the current cards which are going to be going for dirt cheap.

Back