Radeon 9600
Two optical drives
Two 7200rpm harddrives
One floppy
Two LED fans
Four 80mm speeze fans
Sound Blaster Audigy
400 watt Raidmax PSU

I recently added the four 80mm fans and the PSU performed fine. I added one of the hard drives and I had to unplug the LED fans and put my cpu back at stock speeds. I added the sound card and had to unplug two of the speezes. This signals that I need a new PSU (obviously.. lol) I will definately be adding two more 160gb 7200rpm hard drives and a 60mm fan ASAP. Sooner or later I will upgrade to 1gb of PC3200. I may have to add more hardrives too, but I hope I don't need to.

I was looking at PSUs, and the Thermaltake 480 watt Xaser edition looked pretty good, since it had simiar reviews to the Antec, was cheaper, and was not a no-name brand. Will this be enough to power it? If not what, size and brand do you recommend?

Rig B:
Athlon TbirdC 1.33ghz
512mb of PC133
Geforce 3
One optical drive
Two 7200 rpm hard drives
Two 80mm fans
Sound blaster live
350 watt enermax PSU

The PSU handles it fine, but I had to borrow it from my dad after my old one died. Should the 400 watt Raidmax in my other PC handle this fine untill I can afford another new one? Eventually, I will have at least five hard drives in it. When that time comes, what kind of PSU would you recommend for the task?

your welcome

well keep an eye out for a new FAQ\article Im working on about how to go about that subject, how to determine your needs, and assess a PSU to meet them, but more importantly what has changed and why in the last few years, a little mini history of PC power consumption based on the rails, yesteryears mobos had +5V VRMs (Voltage regulation moduals) to step down and power the CPU thats changed, now they use +12V rails, so older power supplys are often not up to the task on new boards depending on what other components are in the config that use the +12V (Drives, fans ect)
then the graphics cards, same thing, have gone from being powered solely through the AGP slot (with some workstation class cards and mobo using AGP Pro) to now they are externally supplemented with a 4 pin molex, and the near future holds stranger stuff

then there is the veracity of the specs as supplied by various manufacturers
(or the lack of specs in many cases) which is why youll see this in Vertigo Acids sig

"This is not a court of law, when it comes to a "cheap" PSU they are presumed guilty until proven innocent"

Papa-Ming said:
Oh and, I'll just be going to purchase my new PSU now :p

its not that good a "process" :p
knowing where the real reviews lurk (independent verification)
can make a big difference ;)

or spotting an anomaly in a spec

LOL, Papa-Ming youll find a few old dogs here and there among the pups
Im 41, B.B.S. and MajorDomo play in that same ballpark :p

Took me a year and a half to assemble the rig in my sig
when I actually started out it was going to be dual MPs & a K7XPro :p
(which I had previously been coveting for another year and a half)

make sure to drop by OC & Cooling and regale those young whipper snappers with tales of yore ;)

Back