Need new video card for 30" display

Agreed, the 5970 is the fastest card out today. Im not much into "waiting for the next new thing" to come out. Ive discovered after a couple decades as an electronics geek that no matter how long you wait, no matter how long you compare and search - the INSTANT you buy something, something better will come out.

My advice is that if youre needing an upgrade now, buy the fastest card you can afford now. If you can swing the 5970 then get it. Itll be plenty of muscle for a long time to come. Yeah 3 months from now it wont be the king of the hill but 6 months from now the "new thing" will be replaced by yet another "new thing" and so on.

I agree with Gym Rat. The Radeon 5970 will be an enormous upgrade from a 9800GTX

I could understand if you had to wait a long time, but Fermi is about a month from release. At the very least I'd wait for Fermi to cause a price drop on the 5970.

I agree with Naieve,
Fermi is near release.. and the price on the 5970 right now is pretty substantial. If it were me, I would wait a month or so until the price went down...

if money is no object buy a 5970 now and when fermi comes out if its better get that and sell the 5970

Be done with it, and buy two overpriced (IMO) HD 5970's 'n cross-fire them if money is of no concern.

get a 5970, liquid cool it, then get a furby card and use the furby card for physx/gpu computing or what not.

I'm currently driving my dell 3007wfp with 3X 5870s and they seem to be doing a pretty adequate job. Not dissapointed in thier performance in any game really, some parts of crysis run incongruously bad compared to the rest.

if money was no object, Quadro FX 5800 4GB in SLI, Quadro Plex 4-GPU box, or Fermi based Quadro FX 4GB+ in SLI

you didn't state an intended use though

if money was no object, Quadro FX 5800 4GB in SLI, Quadro Plex 4-GPU box, or Fermi based Quadro FX 4GB+ in SLI

you didn't state an intended use though

Probably not 3D production :)

I'm guessing he's concerned with gaming.

Probably not 3D production :)

I'm guessing he's concerned with gaming.

oh I wouldn't buy those for 3D production for myself, I just like the extra/enhanced driver features and if I could blow $6000+ without issue I'd totally do it :cool:

on the upside, performance isn't much worse than their GeForce counterparts, ignoring the >6x price hike of course

oh I wouldn't buy those for 3D production for myself, I just like the extra/enhanced driver features and if I could blow $6000+ without issue I'd totally do it :cool:

on the upside, performance isn't much worse than their GeForce counterparts, ignoring the >6x price hike of course

What kind of extra features? I'm just curious.

What kind of extra features? I'm just curious.

SLI Multi-OS, ridiculous AA levels, full acceleration in DCC apps before most consumer hardware has it (usually), bulletproof tech support, SDI (if I ever could come up with an actual reason for that one aside for supporting a $20,000 20" TV or $100,000 beta deck), genlock for building the video-wall of my dreams, and Stereo 3D (I'm thinking this is probably going to become less and less relevant thanks to 3D Vision and whatever AMD is releasing)

basically: a ton of overpriced stuff that would be cool as hell to have but nobody except working professionals really even needs to consider needing - but the pretense of this thread was "money is no object", and thats what I'd suggest/get if money was no object

oh, and it was also a different answer than "5970" which is probably what I'd do if gaming was the primary concern with a 30" LCD :p

Hey guys, thanks for all the informative replies! I got much more help out of this thread than i though... y'all never fail to dissapoint <3

Since you guys ponited out the soon to be released Furby card (lol), I think I may wait a few weeks to see what happens... in the mean time, could someone point me toward something more comparable to what i have now? I want to make sure what i get in the mean time will power my 30" display.

I would just go out and buy an exact copy of what i have now (to at least tide me over wince mine's dying), but i can't find a 9800gtx with 2gigs of ram anywhere >_<

Thank again!

Back