Need nForce4 Recommendations (NO ASUS ALLOWED!)

mmartinx

Gawd
First, my rant.

I ordered a new system from newegg consisting of an A8N-SLI Deluxe, MSI 7800 GTX Lite, 3800+ X2, 2gb Corsair XMS.

And it won't post. I call Asus tech to find out it's not even getting to the CPU diagnostics part of POST, and it won't read out the "no cpu installed" message.

So I RMA the motherboard and CPU (just in case) to newegg for replacements.

I find out a week later they're OOS on the mobo so they refund me, great. I order the CPU and mobo from ZZF and get it Monday. This time I get the no cpu message! Great, so I plug the chip in. But it still won't post, in fact it won't get past the CPU check. So I call Asus again and find out that I have an old BIOS revision and they're gonna send me a new chip that will support the X2. I get the chip today, install it, and guess what, still won't fucking work. Even though there's no rev sticker on the BIOS chip they're insisting they flashed the latest version, and either my motherboard or cpu is dead.

Fucking great.

I was tempted to just send everything back and eat the $225 restocking fee on $1500 worth of gear, just to be fucking rid of all this. But now I'm thinking I'll give it another shot, with a non fucking goddamn Asus board that I can be sure that will support the X2.

The plan now is to return the cpu and board to ZZF for a refund (sans 15%), and order a different combo off of newegg tonight, so hopefully I can get this working once and for all.

So, anyone have any recommendations? I'm usually a pretty big Abit !!!!!!, but I've been swayed to stay away from their nForce4 offering based on a few reviews I've read.

ps: The common threads in both systems failing have been the power supply (Antec 450w off of the Sonata II), the ram, 2gb Corsair XMS, and the video card, MSI 7800 GTX, is there any chance that somehow one of these is defective and is somehow fubaring the motherboard/cpu which in turn caused it to fail the cpu check tests. I know it sounds ridiculous but I think the chances of 2 dead motherboards/cpus or the combination of the two is extremely remote.

pps:

What would you guys do in my situation?

I mean I have a couple of options.

Keep playing replacement tag until I get a combo that works (I'd rather not). I don't have that much time left on the original order (nearing 3 weeks, 30 day limit)

Just fucking forget the entire thing and return everything and maybe build a new system down the road. The problem with this is I just got a Dell 2405FPW to compliment the new system which I would probably end up returning, which I really don't want to do.

Or...

Order a new combo from newegg tonight and have it overnighted so I can potentially have it up and running by this weekend, only losing out on the 15% restocking fee on ~500 from ZZF.

Or something else?

Dude. Calm the fuck down. I know you went through some trashy shit but jeez. Do you know anyone that has a 939 system that you can test your X2 on? And all of your other components for that matter. Just to get that out of the way. For motherboard I HIGHLY RECCOMEND DFI, MSI, And the popular EPoX I don't quite remember the name

Black-Falcon said:
Dude. Calm the fuck down. I know you went through some trashy shit but jeez. Do you know anyone that has a 939 system that you can test your X2 on? And all of your other components for that matter. Just to get that out of the way. For motherboard I HIGHLY RECCOMEND DFI, MSI, And the popular EPoX I don't quite remember the name

Ignore the hyperbole, I'm really not that pissed, and I'm not swearing off Asus forever either. Don't know anyone with a 939 system unfortunately. I've tested with working ram/psu/video (pci) and still nothing. The cool thing about the Asus board is that you can sorta test the components one at a time, as long as the CPU works (which it didn't, for one reason or another). I'm just wondering if my new Antec 450w PSU is somehow subtley frying the components (I highly doubt this, but you never know).

plug in all of the power plugs to the board? All the failing sounds like a user error...or you have the worst luck I have ever heard of. I've had stuff break on me, and it's usually been my fault. You gotta break some eggs right? For the most part, it pains me to see you throw away good money on restocking fees. Can you buy a single pci-e board, something kinda cheap just as a test bed? I'm sure you could find one for 225. Are you sure your psu is up to the task? If it's that 450, it isn't certified to do sli, and might not have enough umph. Newegg has soem Antec 550's on sale right now, I'm getting me one, that are certified. I would start there, as you would need a psu down the road if you plan on going SLI.

Rhentno said:
plug in all of the power plugs to the board? All the failing sounds like a user error...or you have the worst luck I have ever heard of. I've had stuff break on me, and it's usually been my fault. You gotta break some eggs right? For the most part, it pains me to see you throw away good money on restocking fees. Can you buy a single pci-e board, something kinda cheap just as a test bed? I'm sure you could find one for 225. Are you sure your psu is up to the task? If it's that 450, it isn't certified to do sli, and might not have enough umph. Newegg has soem Antec 550's on sale right now, I'm getting me one, that are certified. I would start there, as you would need a psu down the road if you plan on going SLI.

The A8N-SLI goes through its diagnostics checks in sequence, CPU, memory, video card, and it's not even getting past the CPU check. I get the no CPU error message without a cpu in, but when I power it on with it in it just hangs, doesn't even get to the memory test. I've tried it with a PCI video card, a different power supply, etc. etc.

It has to be either the wrong bios revision (RE: the original one I got), a bad motherboard, and or a bad cpu. Definitely would sound like user error to me too, but I'm always extremely careful putting these things together.

It's horror stories like these that compel me to just have monarchcomputer.com put the basic shit together for me - cpu and mobo. no rmaing and restocking fees and post office and shipping costs and shit. at least this way i know the components i bought are working together as they should.

make a very good point. The company is not gonna send out a non-functioning unit, probably worth it in this matter. I still say buy a cheapie board, keep it for testing your components and test this cpu there. If you go to the MSI website, their neo4 boards are x2 "ready". I see used ones on the forums for not too much money.

Back