Need opinions: Helping someone who insists on a pre-built!

IceWeasel

[H]ard|Gawd
Hopefully several of you recognize me in this sub-forum by now, as I've been picking up in activity here lately... Anyways, I'm also a member over at Slickdeals, and I'm trying to help some other member pick out his next gaming pc. He insists that it be pre-built as he has no idea how to do it himself, and he's leaning on using www.ecollegepc.com.

It seems like their prices aren't too terrible for what he's getting, so allow me to proceed.

Here is the summary of what I'm recommending to him.

His Original Build
CPU: Intel® Core 2 Quad 2.83Ghz Q9550 CPU w/Fan
CPU cooler: artic cooling freezer cpu cooler
Motherboard : ASUS P5QL PRO Intel® P43, PCI-Ex, 3 PCI
Memory : 8GB DDR2 PC6400 800Mhz Memory
Video Card : 1GB GeForce 9500GT PCI Express TVout/DVI
Hard Drive : 500GB 7200RPM Ultra Fast Serial ATA300 Hard Drive
DVDRW/CDRW : 22X LG Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive w/NERO
Network Card : 1Gbit Fast Ethernet Network Adapter
Sound Card : 8 channel HD Sound Adapter
Case : CoolerMaster Black Elite-330 case
Ports : 8 USB 2.0 Ports, Serial
Bundled Software : Nero CD Burning Software, all drivers for video,sound, and lan.
PSU: 650 watt

Total Price is $965.00 shipped to his door.

My Recommended Build
3.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 6MB Cache FSB 1333
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler Extremely Quiet
GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L (Intel P43, PCIEx, 8-Channel Audio, LAN, 4xSATA2, 4xDDR2, 1333FSB)
4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty
500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA300
22X LG Dual Layer DVD+/-RW/CDRW w/Nero
512MB ATI Radeon HD4850 GDDR3 PCI Express DVI/Tvout
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1
CoolerMaster Black 690 (5 5.25, 5 3.5 bays) 3 Fans, Front Audio/USB/1394
650watt Antec EarthWatts EA650
Onboard LAN included
Onboard Sound included
Three year hassle free pickup and return

Total $972.00 (includes S&H)

I changed out the CPU to upgrade him in some other areas. I also lowered the RAM because you don't really need more than 4gb. The upgrades included a much better video card (since he said this was for gaming) and a 3yr warranty. The price shouldn't really bother him since he was willing to add $50 to his first build for the 9800.

If he is building this for gaming, then this is a much better build than his previous one. Dual-cores are better for gaming than a quad-core, and before his video card would be the bottleneck of gaming, now he's set with a good cpu and a good gpu.

Summary:
  • Changed CPU to E8400 (Saves money for upgrades on other areas... minimal performance loss for major gains elsewhere)
  • Downgraded memory from 8gb to 4gb (Not really much use for more than 4gb currently, you could always add more later)
  • Upgraded GPU from 9500 to 4850 (Major performance upgrade for gaming)
  • Upgraded from no warranty to a 3yr warranty (Major improvement, it seems their warranty policy will allow you to get it replaced quickly)
  • Changed Motherboard to the Gigabyte (These have been really popular boards over at Hardforum, but you may want to look into this some more)
  • Upgraded Case (Having more space for airflow and such is a good thing. Better to have a nicer case now than to regret it later. Reviews are available on Newegg.)

What are your thoughts?

It's not AVA Direct, so either way he's got good chances!

Anyone can be broken though. Keep trying!

Your changes are pretty sound and decent. Don't see any glaring problems with your changes. Then again I am half-asleep :) So I'll double check this later

However, that eCollegePC seems very shady to me. Hit up AVADirect and see what you can get over there.

Yea, the problem is that every system builder is so dang expensive... I told him that he should build his own, but if this is the route he's choosing to go, at least I can give him some advice :)

Your rationale is sound, and your parts make for a better gaming computer.

To persuade your friend into building a computer himself, find an easy-to-follow guide (or a few of them) online. There are a few how-to-build-a-PC guides listed in the GenHard FAQ, including a series of online videos. The FAQ itself can also help answer a few questions that you or your friend may have during the build.

I use my PC primarily for gaming and now that I've had a quad core for a year, I can't stand the thought of going back to a dual core. A quad core is SOOOO much more responsive in general day to day use, and anything over 3.0ghz in the intel core 2 whatever world isn't going to matter much anyway. I also prefer Asus over Gigabyte...

BUT DEFINATELY

Stay with the quad!

Though that 9500GT has no place in a gaming machine. Get a 8800GT or 9800GT at least!

Go to ubid.com if he insists on pre-made. I've bought over a dozen HP's from that site with no problems yet. He could get a similar system from HP for about 400 shipped with a 90 day warranty.

Would it help if he knew he could get essentially the same system for almost $200 less and get to learn how to assemble one at the same time?

3.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 6MB Cache FSB 1333
$165.00 w/FS

Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler Extremely Quiet
$37.00 w/FS

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L (Intel P43, PCIEx, 8-Channel Audio, LAN, 4xSATA2, 4xDDR2, 1333FSB)
$92.00 w/FS

4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty
$37.00 w/FS

500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA300
$60.00 w/FS

22X LG Dual Layer DVD+/-RW/CDRW w/Nero
$22.00 w/FS

512MB ATI Radeon HD4850 GDDR3 PCI Express DVI/Tvout
$130.00 w/FS

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1
$99.00 w/FS

CoolerMaster Black 690 (5 5.25, 5 3.5 bays) 3 Fans, Front Audio/USB/1394
$57.00

Corsair CMPSU-650 power supply
$95.00 w/FS

Total: $794.00 and you only have to pay shipping for the case

Note, I changed the power supply manufacturer but kept the wattage the same just because I already had a link to the Corsair unit. The rest of the parts are from your "recommended" list. There are cheaper (and in some cases cheaper and better) deals out there now, I just wanted to be as "apples to apples" as possible.

Combo deals on those parts are pretty weak and could be improved upon to bring the price down to the $760-770 range.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back