Need Recomendations on HD TV / Monitor

Man this stuff just gets more and more confusing!!!

OK I am in the market for 2 flat panel High definition TV / Monitors 21" to 27".

One will be used for PS3 / XBox 360 / HD TV / DVD
And the other for a PC with a high end graphics card (Radeon X1900XTX) Gaming and Video Editing will be the norm.

21" is the smallest I am willing to go and I would like to go bigger but I want excellent quality and I would like to keep the price under a grand for each...

Thanks ahead of time!!!

EQ

i would reccomend the Samsung LN-R268W (http://samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNR268WXXAA.asp) it has all the inputs you'll need and you can easily find it for less than $1000 if you shop around, its what i use for both pc/tv and i havent had a problem with it and it supports hdcp which is a definite plus. For a pc monitor i would go for something along the lines of the dell 2405fpw, but i've heard dell is bringing out a refresh the dell 2407wfp which supports hdcp

Thanks for the suggestion, both look good especially the Samsung.

Why wouldn't you suggest 2 of those? Especially from the way I read your response you use it as a PC Monitor also...

Also for anyone who knows is the 12 ms response time good enough for gaming?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!!

EQ

EqualizingForce said:
Man this stuff just gets more and more confusing!!!

OK I am in the market for 2 flat panel High definition TV / Monitors 21" to 27".

One will be used for PS3 / XBox 360 / HD TV / DVD
And the other for a PC with a high end graphics card (Radeon X1900XTX) Gaming and Video Editing will be the norm.

21" is the smallest I am willing to go and I would like to go bigger but I want excellent quality and I would like to keep the price under a grand for each...

Thanks ahead of time!!!

EQ

I've been eying up the Westinghouse LTV-27w6 27" LCD HDTV that is going to be released soon. It's no doubtedly going to be under 1k, and reads as if it has all the specs I want (built in ATSC tuner is a plus for me) Resolution is the highest also for screens of that size

Some specs:

Display Specifications
Viewable Screen Size 27" Diagonal
16:9 Aspect ratio
Native/Optimum Resolution 1366 x 768
16.7 Million colors
Compatible Modes
NTSC
HDTV
PC 480i
480p, 720p, 1080i
640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1280 x 720, 1360 x 768
Contrast Ratio 1000:1

Color Gamut 75% NTSC
Lamp Life 60,000 Hrs
Viewing Angle 176° Horizontal
176° Vertical
Response Time 8 ms

TV Features
Audio 2-10 watt speakers
Tuner 1 Cable-ready NTSC / HDTV ATSC
Video Processing Digital 3D Comb, Motion adaptive De-Interlacing, MTS/SAP, V-Chip, Closed Caption & EPG

Physical Dimensions 21.5" (h) x 27.6" (w) x 8.1" (d) (with Base)
28 lbs (with Base)
19.8" (h) x 27.6" (w) x 4.4" (d) (w/o Base)
24 lbs (w/o Base)
Connectors 1 Composite Video In, 1 S-Video In, 2 YPbPr In, 1 DVI-HDCP In, 1 HDMI-HDCP In, 1 VGA In, 1 VGA Audio In (mini), 5 Dual RCA Audio In, 1 RJ45 for Service, 1 Antenna In, 1 Power In, 1 Dual RCA Audio Out, 1 Digital Audio Output

yeah i came across that one aswell but i decided to go for the samsung because of its 3000:1 contrast ratio as apposed to the westy's 1000:1 but thats because i watch a lot of movies on it...

ok ... that Samsung is lookin pretty good too... I DO have a question about it though.

SO, I want to hook up a HD box from Comcast AND my PC to my future monitor.

This Samsung has a 'PC In' ...just a standard D-sub15 connection.

Should I be using this connection for my PC and the HDMI for the HD Box, or use a DVI/HDMI cable for the PC and component for the HD box?

When I was setting up my PC to work with my LCoS I couldn't get it to do high resolutions with the VGA connector. Running DVI to DVI made for the easiest setup and best results.

Up until I hooked my PC up, I was running DVI from my HD STB to the LCoS. Honestly, going from DVI to Component on that box made very, very little difference. Even viewing HD content I notice little difference between component and DVI.

My opinion:

PC = DVI
HD STB = Component

alekstasy said:
i would reccomend the Samsung LN-R268W (http://samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNR268WXXAA.asp) it has all the inputs you'll need and you can easily find it for less than $1000 if you shop around, its what i use for both pc/tv and i havent had a problem with it and it supports hdcp which is a definite plus. For a pc monitor i would go for something along the lines of the dell 2405fpw, but i've heard dell is bringing out a refresh the dell 2407wfp which supports hdcp

I fully concur...I bought mine off of ebay from Datavison, for 948$ and with shipping it was 1050$(cheapest I could find)...Delivered in perfect condition, and hooked it up to my 360, and damn is it sweet..BTW-if you goto any stores and you play the 360's, at every kiosk you play at, 99% of the time the 360's are being viewed through a Samsung LNR series...goto Bestbuy,compusa,circuit city, etc.I think that in itself shows why this LCDtv is so awesome... So, the samsung is well worth it IMO.

thenixhex311 said:
ok ... that Samsung is lookin pretty good too... I DO have a question about it though.

Should I be using this connection for my PC and the HDMI for the HD Box, or use a DVI/HDMI cable for the PC and component for the HD box?

It's really up to you...I tried the regular vga input for my pc and it looks great...If you wanna spend for the HDMI cable adapter(if you don't have one already), then you could use that...but I just use component for my peripherals ,like 360,dvd...and I use the vga/Dvi for my pc...

thenixhex311 said:

I have the LNR 238W (the 23") & I tried connecting my PC to both, the PC input & the HDMI input. I tell you now you will need to use the "PC Input" for PC. The PC INput supports setting that the HDMI doesn't (Coarse & fine adjustments). Plus I wasn't able to position the screen correctly using a DVI - HDMI cable connecting my PC to HDMI input. That saved me $100. XB360 looks fabulous on this set. PC looks great in 1360X768.

Note: I have found that a direct VGA connection is the best. When I upgraded to a DVI only GPU I had to use a DVI/VGA adapter which I believe the adapter is to blame for the coarser picture.

I cannot comment on TV, I've never watched TV on it. I don't really watch TV alot. DVDs look decent but I'm sure the HDDVDs will look swell on this Sammy.

i will soon get this samsung hd lcd tv 23 inch
shoud i use my pc with vga cable or dvi to hdmi cable or vga to hdmi cable???

Before you get the Samsung, do some research at avsforum.com and search for the term "Clayface".

There have been a lot of complaints about the Samsungs smoothing feature (DNIe) and how it can produce "Clayface". On the 23" and others it can't be turned off.

SD picture quality was bloody awful on the thing.

I had the 23". I didn't really like it and took it back.

-Larry

I bought this Samsung HDTV (TXR-2765):
b2c_m_txr2765.jpg

And was going to use this:

I run at 1440x1080i.
I am stuck with only 80% of the image (upper left), and a refresh rate of 33.75...

I was hoping xp would "see" the tv and set a resolution that would work... but no, I have to use powerstrip but cannot get a decent looking resolution/refresh rate.

Any video cards support component out natively?

Before I would recommend that monitor 1366x768 resolution would ba a waste of a 1900XTX. Unless there is something i missed and it can go higher.

alekstasy said:

Back