Need recommendations for a friend Please! :)

amdownzintel

Limp Gawd
Alright so I have a friend that is looking to spend a lot of money on a new build. He wants dual monitors to start out with and then probably have more later and he's looking for something that is going to last. He doesn't game or anything, but he's looking for something that is silent, but very powerful. Of course has to be vista capable and the price that he's willing to spend is probably going to be about 8,000 dollars for everything including software and such. He was looking at http://www.digitaltigers.com/index.shtml for computers and monitors, but I was telling him they probably sell really good products, but they also cost a lot of money. I was just wondering if you guys have any recommendations for my friend here. He just needs something very durable, fast, silent, and really good software to manage everything. He's mainly just doing word, photoshop, ftp stuff, and wants to do dragon naturally speaking. I was telling him I could just build him one, but I don't offer extended warranties and such like big companies do. So I was kind of thinking away from that. Any recommendations would be great! I'll be doing more research on this as well, I was just wondering what you guys had in mind.

Wait.. he wants to spend $8000 on a non-gaming computer? Why?? I know the photoshop and whatnot, but you don't need to spend more than.. well factoring in two flatscreens, not sure. But surely no more than $3k? Not even that?

Yes I know it sounds a lot, but money isn't too much of a problem here. He basically wants a company that stands behind there products and he wants it to be kick ass. I know it's a lot and he probably won't be spending that much, I gave that number because wanted to show you guys he's not afraid of spending money. Everything that he is getting will be top end. So just wanted to know if you guys have any recommendations on anything.

If he wants a long warrenty, silent pc, and lots of screen space, have him get a dell xps700. He can get a 4 year warrenty, conroe, good support (dells xps support is different from there normal support fromwhat I have heard), good graphics cards, and he can get 2 30" dell lcd's if he pleases.

munkle said:
If he wants a long warrenty, silent pc, and lots of screen space, have him get a dell xps700. He can get a 4 year warrenty, conroe, good support (dells xps support is different from there normal support fromwhat I have heard), good graphics cards, and he can get 2 30" dell lcd's if he pleases.

Thats my recomendation too.

I wouldn't be too afraid of building computers for friends. I've done about 20 now, over 5 years, and there haven't been any hardware problems. A few general questions, about software and such, but not much. If you use good parts, it is likely to last.

I would be afraid if i was building a pc with at least $5,000 in parts. Like of sorry dude i just slipped and dropped all 4 of your graphics cards please dont kill me...

But back on track... if you do build it only spend say 3k on the system (not counting monitor) for now and then when the next big thing hits the market you still have money to upgrade to the new top of the line. Or you could get a crazy nice Desktop and an awesome Laptop at the same time

Back