Need replacement for raedon HD 6800

Huan

[H]ard|Gawd
My ati raedon HD 6870 (ninja edited hehe) pci-e card died... Anyone care to suggestion a comparing card thats easy on the budget? Kinda in a bind atm, and would like to keep the cost down, but performance in the general area of that card.. I'm a bit out of the loop of graphics cards atm...

Any suggestions? I'm even good on nvidia cards if need be, don't really have a solid following with either...

Didn't know which forum to put this request on, so figured i'd go with the general one being i'm open to both lol :) I'm going to be playing wow with this card as I was with the now dead one.. Its been a solid card, but it finally died apparently :-(

Last edited:
What PSU do you have?
What case do you have?
What's your max budget for this new video card?
What's the max resolution of your monitor?
Besides WoW, any other games you plan on playing?

Also, there's no such thing as a HD 6800. Did you mean HD 6850 or HD 6870? Please let us know as it lets us know the exact kind of performance you're use to.

What PSU do you have?
What case do you have?
What's your max budget for this new video card?
What's the max resolution of your monitor?
Besides WoW, any other games you plan on playing?

Also, there's no such thing as a HD 6800. Did you mean HD 6850 or HD 6870? Please let us know as it lets us know the exact kind of performance you're use to.

Psu is a corsair TX 650 watt

Case is a larger server tower, not sure of the technical name, but has plenty of room for large cards, lord knows this one is huge.

I'd like to stay $100 to $150 or cheaper. Yeah, I think my card was 6870 ( Edit: updated to correct number), just used to calling it 6800 due to the driver updates categorizing it in that line of drivers.

I"ll have to get back to ya on the monitor resolution, it was 1600xsomething, DVI

And atm, just WoW is all i'm playing, but I like the eye candy being turned all the way up..

Think that roughly covers it?

Last edited:
You forgot the power supply.

EDIT: Ahh you got a Ninja Edit in. :)

In that case, if you can afford to, I recommend getting the $170 GTX 650 TI Boost 2GB as it will provide a pretty substantial boost in performance over your HD 6850 and last a bit longer with newer games due to the 2GB of VRAM:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXOCAQY/?tag=extension-kb-20

But if you absolutely cannot spend that extra $20, then the GTX 650 TI 1GB is a solid choice at $130 and still outperforms the HD 6850:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009L87GSG/?tag=extension-kb-20

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry, you pounced on the question faster than I thought you would have! Lol, I almost threw in the edit comment, but well, you got me :)

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll check it out!

Sorry, you pounced on the question faster than I thought you would have! Lol, I almost threw in the edit comment, but well, you got me :)
I do have the title of "Ninja Editor" for good reason. ;)
Thanks for the suggestion, i'll check it out!
Oh if you can find the GTX 650 TI Boost 1GB for $150 max, then that's also a solid choice as well. Any more than $150 for that specific card, you might as well go for the GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB.

Don't get the regular GTX 650 Ti 2GB as I don't think it'll be fast enough to take advantage of that 2GB of vRAM. The GTX 650 TI Boost 2GB is fast enough to take advantage of that 2GB of vRAM though.

If you want an amd alternative. Both the 7850/7870 are faster at their respective price range.

XFX HD 7850 1GB Video Card w/ 3 Games $134.99AR Free Shipping
Newegg has the XFX FX-785A-ZNL4 Radeon HD 7850 1GB GDDR5 HDCP PCI-E Video Card + Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon Game Coupons for $134.99 Free Shipping after rebate. Tax in CA, NJ, TN. This it the lowest prices we've seen for an HD7850 video card, especially with 3 popular games included. [Compare Prices]
1024 stream processors clocked @ 900MHz; HDMI; (2) DVI; (1) DisplayPort; (1) HDMI
$25 rebate Exp 6/12/13

Sapphire 100354OC-2L Radeon HD7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card + 3 Games $175.89AR
Newegg has the Sapphire 100354OC-2L AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 HDCP PCI-Express 3.0 Video Card + BONUS Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider, and Bioshock Infinite Game (Vouchers) for a low $175.89 Free Shipping after rebate and Coupon Code: "EMCXPXP25" (Exp 6/12). Tax in CA, NJ, TN. This video card sells for at least $215 elsewhere. [Compare Prices]
1280 stream processors clocked @ 1050MHz; 2 DVI, DisplayPort, HDMI
$15 rebate Exp 6/15/13

Sorry just cut and paste from techbargains.net

Newb question.. Cards made for PCI-E 3.0, will they work on PCI-2.0 boards? Thought to check into that before pulling a dumbass.. Seems like I remember some backwards compatibility, but just want to make sure before spending the cash.. I know it will have less bandwidth etc, not really concerned with that atm as I just want to get this rig back up and running

Newb question.. Cards made for PCI-E 3.0, will they work on PCI-2.0 boards? Thought to check into that before pulling a dumbass.. Seems like I remember some backwards compatibility, but just want to make sure before spending the cash.. I know it will have less bandwidth etc, not really concerned with that atm as I just want to get this rig back up and running

Yes, and vice versa.

Have you also checked if its covered under warranty? The 6850 has not been released for 3 years yet. Many manufacturers have 3 year warranties.

You need a GTX 650ti Boost on the Nvidia side to exceed the 6870 in performance. The GTX 650 and lower will be slower.

You need a 7790 on the AMD side to arguably match the 6870 but you need to go up to a 7850 to exceed the 6870 in performance. Anything lower than the 7790 will be slower for sure on the AMD side.

The 7750 will be significantly slower than even a 6850.

If you are tight budget wise you should consider checking your warranty, repairing (such as baking) or buying used as alternatives as well.

I swear this thing is older than 3 years, it has to be.. I don't recollect building anything in a few years, specially after my oldest daughter was born.. Strange thing is, this card isn't completely dead it seems, I can load into safe mode, but if I load into normal mode with low resolution (hitting F8/F4, couldn't remember which so I hit both lol ) and it will boot up, but if I mess with the video card software in any form or fashion, bam, screen lock.. The system passed the system memory test just fine.. Also, when in the bios, I'm seeing crazy lines every which away, think thats considered artifacts, but I didn't see them on the lower resolution in safemode on windows... I'm guessing something is dead in the card, wish to hell I had another cheapy around to use, but all I got are agp cards :-/

But then again, all the big reviews for it seem to be in 2010... Hmm, i'll see what I can dig up on that... Dang time flies

Well the 6870 was launched in October of 2010 so your card can't be over 3 years old even if you bought it on launch day. What brand is it?

Have you tried switching cables and output connector? You never know. Might as well try reseating the card and the power cables as well. Desperate times :p

If all else fails you could try baking it.

Might be worth it to check on a warranty, if it is then $10 shipping to get a functional card that sounds like it might still be ok for you for a bit is a lot cheaper than a mini upgrade.

Funny, newegg still has my records.. I purchased it october 26, 2010.. Trippy, I thought it was older than that for sure.. Its an XFX brand

What all did they require for you to do that? Receipt etc? Original box? I know I have it somewhere, but I can promise you this much lol, if something was thrown away, it was the significant other and it will be the only thing thrown away

This baking after some research has caught my interest lol.. Soo cool, wonder if I still have some artic silver to reconnect the heatsink :)

My mainboard

I'm playing with the idea of going with the GTX 650 as being the signs my card is behaving is considered a memory problem.. I was going to bake that F@#ker too! :) Still might for giggles

Just be warned that the GTX 650 will be significantly slower than the 6870 it is replacing. Even the GTX 650ti is slower.

It is just insane that a video card I purchased 3 years ago still hammers some of the ones out today :-/ Usually 5 minutes after I order something its obsolete and hated by the tech industry lol

Was it the GTX 650 TI BOOST 2 GB that would hold out a while? And my ati crazed board will support Nividia, just not two of em in the sli stack right? Seems like its crossfire this and that.. Not planning to do anything of such with this setup. Just want my wow to play smoothly with the settings turned up :)

Went with the 7850 :) doing a trial of prime as well so it should be here by wensday :) wish I could take advantage of the instant video service, but thanks to lack of build out and total bs from comcast/att, i'm stuck with wireless.... Which means i'm screwed lol

Back