Need socket 7 processor

vartok

n00b
Im looking for a intel socket 7 processor, faster than 233MHz anyone care to help.... all newegg has are super socket 7

If you are looking for an intel Socket7 Processor, I think (not sure, don't quote me) that it's max was 300mhz, then they moved to slot1. AMD ran the socket7 up to 550mhz I believe. If you are looking for an AMD proc, last I looked newegg had a 500mhz K6-3 for like $16 shipped.

if you must have Intel then the fastest you're going to get is 233mhz, with their Pentium MMX chip, AMD did take it to 550mhz, and other manufacturers like Cyrix can be found producing in the range of 300 or so. the "super" in super socket 7 is understood to support the additional code instructions, like MMX.

I have had an AMD K6-2 400mhz, 500, and 550, and never had a problem. those processors I still have in functional motherboards. Go to newegg and get yourself an AMD K6-2 or K6-3. (K6-3 has higher cache, almost runs like a mini-Athlon)

I may have one you can have. let me check and I 'll get back to you on that...

I have an AMD K6-2-400 (might be a 450) and a Super socket mobo with 128megsPC100 if you are interested. Email me from the link in my profile.

*Edit*
It is a 400.

Specs:
K6-2-400 with HSF
FIC VA-503+ AT/ATX motherboard with PS/2 mouse dongle
128megPC100 with Infineon chips
AT to PS/2 keyboard adapter

NascarFool said:
I have an AMD K6-2-400 (might be a 450) and a Super socket mobo with 128megsPC100 if you are interested. Email me from the link in my profile.

*Edit*
It is a 400.

Specs:
K6-2-400 with HSF
FIC VA-503+ AT/ATX motherboard with PS/2 mouse dongle
128megPC100 with Infineon chips
AT to PS/2 keyboard adapter
PIC

intel never produced an Socket 7 CPU over 233 MHz

anything faster than 233 for socket 7 comes from AMD, Cyrix or IDT/Winchip.

there was a Pentium MMX mobile (codename Tillamook) going up to 300 but this thing isn´t socket 7 compatible.

Super socket 7 only means that those boards can handle FSB100. anything elsa ist the same.

@mhenley
"super" has nothing to do with MMX or something like codeunderstanding. :rolleyes:

so, my question is could i put a super socket 7 processor in a socket 7 mobo (i think the FSB is 66Mhz)

NascarFool said:

That was a cool board for it's time. FIC 503+ wasn't it? I have one that's dead...so I scavenged it for it's good caps, vr's, jumper blocks, etc.

vartok said:
can u put a super socket 7 processor on a socket 7 mobo??

possibly..

thou it would prolly run at 66mhz instead of 100.. which you might be able to jumper around..

yes you can, but it won't run at its full speed. The highest clock rate you'll get out of a Super7 processor is the maximum clock rate that the Socket7 motherboard's jumpers will support (and maybe not that much if its overclocking the motherboard any).

don't forget that the Socket 7 series of cpu's aren't mulitplier locked. So even if you're running at a lower bus speed, you still may be able to achieve the clock speed you're looking for via the multipliers.

Do this - buy the $16 K6-2 500 from NewEgg. Drop it in your motherboard and set it up as 66mhz FSB with a 2x multiplier. AMD cpu's will read the 2x multiplier as 6x. A 6x multiplier is the highest multiplier the old socket boards ever had. Make sure you drop the voltage to 2.2volts. The old Intel cpu's ran on 2.8 or 2.9 volts if memory serves me correctly. Anyway, this will give you a cheap new K6-2 500 underclocked to a K6-2 400. Or, if you can find a real good deal on a used K6-2 400 that will work just as good. I had to do an old computer my dad used to have this way a few years ago. If your motherboard manufacturer offers a newer Bios that supports the K6-2 cpu's I would flash it before I tried it.

i know nothin bout overclockin.... how do u changer the volts and the multiplyer?

with the older mobo's it was all about jumper settings. it would tell you in the book exactly what the board needed to be set to for each particular chip. just set it for a different chip, and poof, instant under/overclock. had to be careful about frying the chip though. newer boards will halt the system to protect the hardware.

would it hurt that chip if i ran it at 2.8 volt? thats the lowest setting my mobo has

That won't work. 2.8volts would fry a K6-2 cpu in about 2 seconds. You should be able to find a good motherboard on Ebay that will handle any of the K6-2 cpu's for around $20. Be sure to get one that supports the 100fsb cpu's and is an ATX type - not AT.
PM me if you have any questions.
Robert

Make sure that when you go shopping for a motherboard you get one with the VIA Apollo MVP3 chipset. That was one of the best back in the Super7 Days. I used to have an AOPEN AX59pro w/1mb L2 cache on the motherboard, and for its time, it was flying. Just don't be like me and when trying to dismount the processor to slap a 500Mhz K6-2 in there you slip with the screwdriver and totally damage the traces to the cache chips. That guarantees stability problems in the future if you leave the cache on and I just wouldn't recommend that hassle to anyone, so be careful when playing with mounting/dismounting the heatsink on the processor. Other than that issue, I absolutely loved all the features this board had and the performance it gave. If you can't find it (I saw one on Ebay for $50 --pricegouging--) then the Epox MVP3G-M would be good too or the TMC TI5VG+. Just make sure you get one that has 1mb L2 Cache on the motherboard as that will greatly increase your system performance.

The ALi Aladdin V chipset is a good one also. I had a Gigabyte GA-5AX that was a great board. Great overclocker (up to a 140FSB) and would support the K6-2+ and K6-3+ mobile cpu's.

vartok said:
would it hurt that chip if i ran it at 2.8 volt? thats the lowest setting my mobo has

What is the make and model of your motherboard? Many older Intel chipset motherboards had undocumented settings for both voltage and FSB. Take a look at this old Tom's how to, http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20000725/ . Your motherboard may also be capable of running at 500 MHz.

Back