Need some advice, have a failing HDD

BababooeyHTJ

Supreme [H]ardness
I need to replace my storage drive (2TB F4 iirc). I honestly could just go external for storage.

My current 1TB f3 spinpoint is older than this failing drive. I should probably replace it. I've always wanted to wait for a good deal on a 1TB SSD to replace the F3. I'm using a 64GB Vertex 4 for srt on the F3. I'm tempted to just buy a faster HDD and continue to use the Vertex 4 for srt. It seems to be the more cost effective option. Although I haven't really kept up on HDDs for quite a long time now.

Yeah, you forgot to ask a question. :D

But to help you with this 'confusion' I see here, I'd say this
- is that 2TB F4 the HD204UI by any chance? This is the failing one, right? it's a darn good drive, so you probably want to triple-check if it's actually failing. We could help you with that.
- I would keep the remaining 1TB drive as a spare of sorts for the time being
- you have to evaluate your needs as to whether you have a terabyte of stuff (games, software suites, multiple operating systems if you have them) that would benefit from that sweet quick access time. You might get away with a 500GB model and the money saved would let you buy one of those massively large 4-6-8-whatever TB drives that are popping out nowadays

Copy the most important stuff off first
Run a backup job to keep your existing (you have some right?) backups up to date
Image the entire drive

It might die during the image, so that's why I say get the important stuff off first. But if image works it makes it faster to restore to new drive. Keep permissions, ownership etc...

run crystal disc info to see if the hdd is actually dying.

so far not one "bad" drive i "missed" since im using it (work/mine/friends)

Back