Need some affordable closed cans

Trombe

Gawd
I'm in need of a pair of closed headphones for a class that uses digital pianos. I have AD700s at home at the moment but due to their open nature they're not suitable for use in the classroom. Minimal to no sound leakage is a must. Beyond that, I'm looking for comfort first and foremost as these will be 2 hour sessions on average. Sound quality isn't as important but as always it's still appreciated; if nothing else I'll likely find a way to put whatever I get to use after I'm done with the class as well. $50 or less would be best but I might be able to stretch it a little bit if it's REALLY worth it. Thanks for reading.

Well, I would recommend A700s since you already have AD700s. Same thing, closed back. Means a bit more bass, though not quite as high quality bass. Problem is, they'll go over your budget. In that range, sorry I don't have any recommendations as I've not listened to closed phones costing around that.

You may want to consider the JVC HARX700 or HARX900 ($34 and $56 at Amazon, respectively). I have the HARX900 and as long as the volume isn't really cranked up there is very minimal sound bleed. Comfort is mostly relative but find them quite comfortable to wear for hours. Lastly, while you mention it isn't a top concern, the sound quality is frankly superb for the cost.

However, don't just take my word for it: Head-Fi or Head-Fi. Users often compare them to some of the ATH headphones so you may find the sound somewhat familiar.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I realize that the MDR-V6's aren't regarded for their sound quality, but they do a good job of isolation. I use them for mowing the lawn sometimes too. Comfort is so-so. Your ears will get hot eventually, but its not too bad really. I also own AD700's and I love the comfort of those babies. But for portability the MDR-V6's are pretty great. I bring them to school also btw. And I can set the volume moderately high without it leaking too much of the music.

Wow I can't believe I totally forgot about those JVC models. Picked up a 700, thanks!

I have both of the JVC models and while I don't have any experience with the A700's or AD700's, I love the JVC's. I ended up using the HA-RX700's for my music listening at my office and my HA-RX900's as my gaming headphones. The 900's have more boom to the bass and have a bigger soundstage that fits movies and games better to me. The 700's sound a lot "truer" to the music.

Back