Need some general advice on case lighting

ahmadka

Limp Gawd
hi guys...well, i have just had my new system for about a month now, and I am thinking of adding some lighting effects to it :p.....

stuff like CCFLs, UV reactive stuff, LEDs,...etc...

I have looked at a decent amount of case mod jobs done by people, but generally they are a bit advanced...they include D-I-Y stuff like cutting the case, drilling, ...all kinds of advanced hardware work....

I am not looking for that...I am just looking for simple mods, that you just buy and install, since this is my first time on modding, to go with a first time on a totally custom PC :p ....and thus, I am a beginner at such stuff....

So what I am looking for is some suggestions on which lights (any type of lights though) should I use...what colour schemes, which place to install them in the case, etc...

also, if you know a place where pics of case mods, with light effects (not DIY type mods) are available, please give me a shout....:grin:

oh yes, right now my case looks pretty boring...here is a picture of my case right now, although most of the wires you see have been hidden in the drive bay, so this front space is 95% empty...i will post some more pics later hopefully....

**LOOK DOWN.....I HAVE ADDED MORE CURRENT PICS** (sorry for using caps, I didnt mean to shout :D )

1001449go9.jpg

the target casing is this one:
Aerocool AeroEngine-II Black
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811196019

A couple ccfl tubes around the window would be a good start. Don't buy the cheap ones, as they don't last too long, and can cause problems when they die....

Take a look here, the Ultra branded ones towards the bottom of the page hold up pretty well...

Ok, I have a question bout lighting too, sorry for the hijack.
Do CCT and LEDs etc attach to the mobo for power or PSU? :confused:

Most have pass-thru molex connectors to be added to the powersupply power

Most have pass-thru molex connectors to be added to the powersupply power

I have that same case i was thinking of putting 2 blue cathodes 1 on top and bottom of the window.Then putting a blue uv cathode on the left side of the window..I just de-riveted the entire case to paint it glossy black.I might also add 2 blue uv fans on the front window.Hopefully it tuns out good still thinking if i should mix other colors like green or red then getting uv cables etc etc.

You might want to check this out. I have one in my full tower kandalf case and it does an awesome job, and you can change the color to pretty much anything you want.

insidelight.jpg

Thats just a quick pic and doesnt really show off how good it actually looks in a pic from a camera, just to show you how it looks in general.

a key to lighting is maximizing its reach that the light hits. First thing i would suggest is that giant club of PSU wires at the top right, try and hide those as much as possible so it doesnt block some light.

as far as placement of lights, take a look at my case and u can if possible do something similair:

IMG_1985.jpg

notice that i put the lights around the edges of the case this way you cant seem them but they put light into the case. all of my lights are UV cathodes which if you used, would need UV reactive cables and such. Also all of the cathode kits come with a switch thats on a pci bracket, i just unscrewed the switch from the bracket and hide them all together in a bay. only downside, u cant turn the lights off because the switches are hidden in the computer, lol

Nice job DanSan.
Your strategy is much like mine concerning the placement of the CCFL tubes.
Prefer them not being seen once the side panel is on.

Yeah it's an older system (nForce2). So what? :D

ok thanx for all the response guys, i have picked up some good tips along the way ;) ...

there was a mention earlier on regarding the inverters....that we should not use the inverters that come with standard CCFLs......can someone please elaborate on that ?

Also please tell me what is an inverter. ?
is it necessary for working your light gadgets ?
can multiple CCFLs, etc.. get power thru the same inverter ?

I made an initial list of possible mods.. have a look:

1) 2x http://www.bestbyteinc.com/Fans,_Fa...D_Smart_Fan,_Retail/Page_3/FAN-TTA-A2018.html

2) 2x http://www.bestbyteinc.com/Cases,_C..._Light_Cannon,_Retail/Page_1/LIG-LED-BLC.html

3) 1x http://www.bestbyteinc.com/Cases,_C...e_Mod_Kit,_Retail_Box/Page_1/LIG-LED-BLL.html

4) (1 or 2)x http://www.xpcgear.com/lqccflspiralbl.html

5) (1 or 2)x http://www.xpcgear.com/12ccflblueuv.html

One question I have regarding CCFLs, is which one is better in the items 4 and 5 about ? I mean, 4 looks good on paper (webpage ), but I dont know if it looks good in reality too or not....

also what do you think about the other pieces ?

there was a mention earlier on regarding the inverters....that we should not use the inverters that come with standard CCFLs......can someone please elaborate on that ?

Also please tell me what is an inverter. ?
An inverter is needed for CCFL tubes. Converts the 12V power to the high voltage (low amps) required to run the light tubes.

Most CCFL kits come with cheesy plastic inverters which are known to get hot. Sometimes this causes a fire.

Here is one from a system I built for a friend a couple years back.

burnt2vr7.jpg

Fortunately I was there when things heated up & could smell plastic burning. Left alone that inverter may have caused some serious issues.

Metal cased inverters will not burn near as easily. Plus that are sealed air tight so there is no oxygen to burn.

hmmm.... point proven with authority....

so where can I get a metal inverter from ?
also, can multiple CCFLs be connected to the same inverter ? or do I need an inverter for each CCFL ?

Each inverter can power 2 ccfl's each regardless of length. And better wire mangement will help you tremendously. And I'd recommend white ccfl's, they are effective without being gaudy or gimmicky.

OK, as promised, here are the current pics of my PC...check 'em out and then tell me how will the above mentioned mods look in it....and as always you are open to any other suggestions :D ....

1001522wf7.jpg

1001523lk6.jpg

1001524wf8.jpg

1001525az2.jpg

1001526wt2.jpg

1001527dj6.jpg

What uv lights u using.Are they the 2in1 blue uv.
My guess is they are UV tubes.

Good UV images are hard to take - they always come out blue washed. A solution is to use the 'white balance' setting
on the camera. Works for me. At least the UV lighting looks purple instead of blue.

Is there any other site other than vibelight who has aluminum inverter kits?
I really appreciate it. :D

My guess is they are UV tubes.

Good UV images are hard to take - they always come out blue washed. A solution is to use the 'white balance' setting
on the camera. Works for me. At least the UV lighting looks purple instead of blue.

Yea UV doesnt pick up very well on the cameras. They are 6 cathodes, all UV. its just all the blue reactive cables kind of looks like it mixes

And thanks ahmadka for the feedback!

ok.....so let me get this straight....

vibelights is the place to order aluminium inverters from....and since its metal all round, its pretty much guaranteed to be safe right ? no fire, etc.....Also, since its aluminium, shouldn't it be a bit more cooler as well ?

hey ahmadka i was just wondering if thats the si-128 you got running in there

hmmm.....whats si-128 ? :confused:

please someone tell me, is vibelights the only place from where you can order a metal cased inverter from ? Isnt there any other supplier that also has this ? The reason I am asking this is because vibelights mainly only offers CCFLs and EL stuff...not the other common modding equipment....and I was thinking of ordering everything from one place if possible....

also, although i know the answer to this is general terms, but can someone pleeeease tell me how to differentiate between a 'normal' light CCFL, and a UV light one ? this is really bugging me :eek:

but can someone pleeeease tell me how to differentiate between a 'normal' light CCFL, and a UV light one ? this is really bugging me
What the heck, I'll give it a shot.

"Normal" light is part of the visible spectrum, Violet being at the top. UV = Ultra Violet. UV light is slightly above Violet & not visible to human eyes.

These UV tubes emit light at just inside the Violet range, which is why they look purple. But most is above that into the Ultra
Violet, which is what makes your UV reactive components glow.

What the heck, I'll give it a shot.

"Normal" light is part of the visible spectrum, Violet being at the top. UV = Ultra Violet. UV light is slightly above Violet & not visible to human eyes.

These UV tubes emit light at just inside the Violet range, which is why they look purple. But most is above that into the Ultra
Violet, which is what makes your UV reactive components glow.

well thanx but i already knew the basic physics behind it :) ..i am just having trouble identifying CCFLs on websites :p ....

for example, is this UV or 'normal' :

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=95&products_id=20529

well thanx but i already knew the basic physics behind it :) ..i am just having trouble identifying CCFLs on websites :p ....

for example, is this UV or 'normal' :

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=95&products_id=20529
UV is UV - or "black light". If not they will be advertised as purple.

If you want REALLY bright CCFLs get the high power inverter (for 24" tubes) from VibeLights. Nets roughly 50% increase.

Q. Can the brightness level be incresed?

A. Yes, we have came up with two methods. 1. The use of our special high out put inverter along with our high intensity bulbs, can increase the brightness level to 45,000 cd/m2. 2. The bulb can also be equipped with a reflective tape that will basically redirect all of the light from 360 degrees to 180 degrees, thus doubleing the amount of light in one direction.
For reference, the typical Logisys 12' tubes are rated at 30,000.

Those are really good UV lights... They're about 20% brighter than the Logisys ones.

So they are not 'normal' lights ? I mean, if its UV then you wont be able to really see the light source itself, would you ?

If you want REALLY bright CCFLs get the high power inverter (for 24" tubes) from VibeLights. Nets roughly 50% increase.

Well I dont want something toooo bright :D ...it should just be decently bright enough....anyways, do you know another site other than vibelights where aluminium inverters are being sold ?

So they are not 'normal' lights ? I mean, if its UV then you wont be able to really see the light source itself, would you ?

If it was a true UV light, you wouldnt be able to see it. The spectrum of light that these "UV"cathodes use end up in between the spectrum of visible and UV light allowing you to see it.

I was gonna buy those UV boost lights but they are all outta stock!! NO!!

You can see UV lights... They operate at about 410-425nm. Light under 400nm is invisible to (most) humans, but is the leading cause of sunburns :p.

You'll be able to see it glow purple, and it will be easily overshadowed by other coloured CCFLs. You won't see much radiated purple light, but the cathode it's self is DEFINITELY purple ;).

I was gonna buy those UV boost lights but they are all outta stock!! NO!!

Whats so special about them ? Sorry, I am new to this stuff :p

If it was a true UV light, you wouldnt be able to see it. The spectrum of light that these "UV"cathodes use end up in between the spectrum of visible and UV light allowing you to see it.

You can see UV lights... They operate at about 410-425nm. Light under 400nm is invisible to (most) humans, but is the leading cause of sunburns :p.

You'll be able to see it glow purple, and it will be easily overshadowed by other coloured CCFLs. You won't see much radiated purple light, but the cathode it's self is DEFINITELY purple ;).

OK, so this is what I have understood.... Ideally speaking UV light dont have any colour, and you should NOT be able to see them......but because the bandwidth of the wavelength of the light emitted from UV CCFL's is such that half of it is visible, and half is not, you see a purplish colour (visible part)....the invisible part is used for the UV effect for the UV reactive stuff in your case.........am I right ??

Also, another question........assuming I am correct above, if you want a purple coloured CCFL, why dont you just buy a UV CCFL? That way you get best of both worlds ?

Whats so special about them ? Sorry, I am new to this stuff :p
OK, so this is what I have understood.... Ideally speaking UV light dont have any colour, and you should NOT be able to see them......but because the bandwidth of the wavelength of the light emitted from UV CCFL's is such that half of it is visible, and half is not, you see a purplish colour (visible part)....the invisible part is used for the UV effect for the UV reactive stuff in your case.........am I right ??

Also, another question........assuming I am correct above, if you want a purple coloured CCFL, why dont you just buy a UV CCFL? That way you get best of both worlds ?

Pretty much hit it on the head. Only thing as far as purple and UV cathodes. The purple ones are alot brighter. The UV cathodes have more of a drowned out violet tint, its a blend between purple and blue while the purple cathodes are pretty much solid purple and brighter.

Back