Need some GTX 295 help

KrylonArt

[H]ard|Gawd
Here's the deal, I am currently running an E8400 on a EVGA 780i (non FTW, bios P08) with 8gb of ram on Vista Ultimate 64. I currently have a single 8800 GTX as my video card. I was given a GTX 295 for a birthday present. However I have been unable to get the damn card to work properly. I have booted into safe with the 8800 GTX installed, uninstalled the drivers, used Driver Sweeper after a reboot back into safe mode to clear anything that might be remaining. Powered off the system, disconnected the power cable, discharged power via the power button, swapped in the GTX 295. I reboot the system back into safe mode to load the drivers. The card works because it is displaying fine so far. However when I log into Windows the auto driver install feature is running even though I disabled it. I stop that and load the drivers I downloaded from EVGA. 185.85 being the most recent one available to me. Once the driver finished loading I reboot the system. Bios screen loads, but when the Windows load screen starts up I get a BSOD each time. I have gone through this process several times and each time I get the same results. BSOD each time, never get to the login screen. Anyone have any suggestions, I have debated just reinstalling my OS from scratch but it took me a while to get everything installed and set up the way that I want it. It would also be a hassle for my wife since she has to use the computer for her classes. I have 11 days left on my step up and I am debating just getting the GTX 285 instead.

Power supply? I have the exact same set up except I am using a p-35 mobo. Runs fine swaped the GPU's out ran driver sweeper booted new drivers and I was set. Did you check the light on the card that it is reading green? If it is not then you lack the power needed to run it or there is another error to be trouble shot.

Um, why did you install the drivers in safe mode ? :confused: Also if you are going to run driver cleaner or sweeper make sure to remove the nvidia folder completely first.
In Win XP installing drivers in safe mode worked. In Vista, not so much... it's a totally different animal.

Last edited:
Um, why did you install the drivers in safe mode ? :confused:

When I try to install it in regular boot up, Vista detects the card and starts trying to install drivers. Possibly because I deleted the Nvidia folder after I did a driver sweep. I will delete the folder first tonight and see if that was the issue. If it doesn't I am probably going to test one of my spare HDDs with a fresh vista install and see if that works.

Delete the nvidia folder, and then when you boot into windows and windows tries to install tell it cancel, then install the driver.

Be sure to tell if it works properly... each time i hear about a faulty 295 i die a little bit inside

You need to answer the power supply question...

How big is your PSU, and what brand?

Back