need some help in Java

chronic9

Supreme [H]ardness
Write a java program that display the image of a "big" letter of the Initial of your last name on screen. This big letter should be composed by at least 10 smaller letter. Also this program display your name on the screen.

Hand in the JAVA code and the screen shot that shows the excution result of the program. (use printScreen function key and paste the clipboard into a word file, then print it out)

my teachers grammar is horrible...

I didnt buy the book for the class (i am cheap) lol. i was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a tutorial for this subject? I googled "how to draw a big letter in Java" and that didnt help much.

thnx for the help.

Most schools have a set up where you can buy the book used and then sell it back to the bookstore. If not, you could probably find it for really cheap online (Amazon).

It depends on how the teacher wants you to draw it. He might want you to completely generate it (that'd be my guess) using Java. Does he want you to just use text output, or are you supposed to somehow be using Swing or awt?

first, can we assume this is a command-line program?

it sounds like he wants you do make ascii art kind of letters, like figlet (http://www.figlet.org/) but simpler
i.e.
Code:
M   M         
MM MM         
M M M ooo ooo 
M   M o o o o 
M   M ooo ooo

obviously nobody here will do it for you but we can help if you have some code and ask specific questions about your code that you need help with)

if i've interpreted this right, the only thing you'd have to do as single print statement that outputs some ascii art text you slapped together in notepad or something

sounds like we're missing something here unless this is basically a "hello world" type of assignment

definetely ask for clarification

the book is 30 bucks, i ordered it, this is the first java assignment that we got, so ya, it is a "hello world" type of thing.

he just wants us to draw a letter, which is made of smaller letters, i remember him drawing it on the board and saying in his broken english - "suppppa easy"

(i have NOOOOO idea how he is a "doctor", i've never had a teacher with such horrible english speaking/writing skills)

If that's the case, get out notepad and figure out how to draw the letter using smaller versions of it, like tim did. Then you just have to do some print statements to output it.

edit: You'll probably start getting a lot of teachers with broken English. Some of them will still be good teachers despite the fact.

what is the name of this drawing topic? "how to draw in java" ??

hes a VERY intelligent guy, but WOW... how do u teach with such bad grammar, all of his assignments that are posted on blackboard are horribly written.

bump.... still no luck with finding anything on this topic.

found a decent page... figure I will make 10 or more print statements, something similar to this:
Code:
public void paint(Graphics g)
{
   g.drawString("abc", 25, 25);
}

Something like this...

Code:
System.out.println("DDDDDDDDD");
System.out.println("DD       DD");

Thats what I'm guessing.... It makes a D..

Theres also many ways to do this (drawstring in Graphics Class).

Yeah it sounds like he just wants an ASCII art type of thing. Presumably a command line app.

This is actually "supa easy"....just find out how to output text to the console (this very simple and can probably be found on Sun's tutorials or easily via google search), and play with the spacing until you get it to look good. You can copy and paste from text pad or something even.

If it's what it sounds like it's like a 10 minute thing. No big deal at all.

Untitled-1.jpg

this is OT... but, how do i set a individual page in word 2007 to be in horizontal mode and the rest in vertical?

How does he want it done? With all System.out.println statements with your initial or with an array?

Back