Need some help understand Win 8 Storage Spaces.

devil22

2[H]4U
I'm trying out Storage Spaces in Win 8 RP. I have 4x2TB drives, and 2x1TB drives (currently in hardware RAID 0). I set up a 3x2TB parity storage space, because the other 2 drives have data on them, so my plan was to make a 3x2TB parity storage space, copy over the data on the other 2 drives to it, and then add those 2 drives making one big 5x2TB parity storage space. Will this work? One thing that is confusing me, is that I am seeing on the web people talk about 'columns', my parity storage space is set to 3 columns. I'm not real sure what this means, but storage space documentation seems to suggest you should add drives so that your number of drives is a multiple of the columns. Can someone explain what columns means here, and tell me what the consequences of adding drives to a parity storage space so that it is not a multiple of the columns are? I'm assuming 'columns' is how the data is spread out. So if it's possible to have 5x2TB drives with 3 columns, will the parity data use 1/3rd the drive and then it would use 1/5th the drives with 5 columns? In which case, I may as well leave the parity storage space with 3x2TBs instead of adding the other 2 2TB drives, right? As a 2TB mirrored to a 2TB HDD, plus a 3x2TB parity storage space = 6TBs usable, and 5x2TB*2/3 = 6.6TB? Or do I have this all wrong? (no "why not use x?" where x is something other than Win 8 Storage Spaces, please. My data is not terribly important, though I'd prefer not losing it.)

Back