Need some help with BF2

first off I am new, I read the rules, and I am not sure if this is against rule #18 or not. If it is I will remove it. I am not asking for anything illegal I just am trying to be safe and abide by the rules.

I purchased a copy of battlefield 2 and really enjoyed the project reality mod. I was upset to find that one day, my computer somehow managed to scratch a ring around the disk. I tried the toothpaste trick to try to get the scratch out, despite knowing it would not work. It has been sitting in its case for a couple months, and I decided I wanted to play it. However, I thought that the disk would not work (this will be important later), since it did not work the last time I played it. I instead downloaded a No-CD crack, and proceeded to use it. I was happy when project reality loaded the level and I could actually play... until I got a few minutes in and punkbuster kicked me. Now, I put the normal file back in the directory, and it works with the CD. However I think my serial was banned. On every server I go on to, I will be able to play for a few minutes, then I get "connection error" or, "you have been disconnected from the server." So I come here to ask, is there anything I can do (short of buying a new copy) to be able to play the oh-so-amazing project reality mod? I appreciate your time and efforts.

Please keep in mind that my copy is 100 percent legal, The CD works fine now, and also, I am not even sure if I was banned or not, I am assuming that since I have never had this problem before. (wow thats a lot of comma's)

Thank you for your help

You'd probably have got a punkbuster error if you'd been banned, though i'm not sure. Might just be router/firewall/AV interference.

In any case, PR has gone downhill since they ditched Muttrah city or whatever it was called. Trying too hard to be clever, now.

Punkbuster MD5s the exe file (this might depend on server side settings). If it doesn't match up you get the boot. I had this problem when I modified the exe headers to make it large address aware for >2GB memory.

Best solution is get/make a mini-image and mount it using something like Daemon Tools.

EDIT: This is irrelevant now that your disc works. As far as punkbuster its unlikely you got banned for that, I've not personally heard to much of people getting pb banned for no-cd cracks (you usually just get disconnected).

I also agree with a manual PB update. It usually fixes this kind of stuff.

No need to feel stupid :D. Punkbuster does a terrible job updating itself in most games and most of the time needs a little hand-holding in doing so. The manual method is kind of a PITA, but it usually works the best, especially when (re)installing some games.

Back