need some help with camera choices (beginner)

infamus

Gawd
I want to get more into photography but dont want to break the bank doing it. The only reason im shopping at best buy for camera stuff is that i have gift cards and a $50 off reward zone thing from buying my washer/dryer.

Now I do realize that this question might provoke some individual tastes on which is better, but I am only looking at the technical specifications and ease of use. Which is an all around better camera for a beginner?

nikon D40 6.1mp or Sony Alpha 10.2mp

if you have any other choices at around $500 let me know

Canon XT/XTi would be another decent choice. I would prob save up for a used 30D though.

If you are buying specifically from BB then look at all of them. See what fits your hands and feels good to you and then move from there. All the cameras are capable in different ways but you will have to determine that yourself. For your price you arent going to be able to pick something up unless it is on sale as most of the kits (ie. D40, D40x, XT/XS, A200 etc.) will run you about $599 for the kit.

go to the store and pick which one feels best to you - nikon and canon according to most have the best lens selection, but in the end its up to what feels the best to you.

You can see if they still have xti's around. However if you want to go slightly over your budget, I got to play around with the new nikon d700. Man that thing handles very well. I want!

You can see if they still have xti's around. However if you want to go slightly over your budget, I got to play around with the new nikon d700. Man that thing handles very well. I want!

"slightly" over budget??.........its a huge step from considering a d40 to a d700. The d700 is $3000 for the body alone. Not to mention the FX glass you'll want to put on that sucker.

"slightly" over budget??.........its a huge step from considering a d40 to a d700. The d700 is $3000 for the body alone. Not to mention the FX glass you'll want to put on that sucker.
Thats a fact and would get you divorced if you are married. With the D40 you will have more lenses to select from, that the Sony. Sigma and Tamron are also making lenses for the D40 as well. Im not a real fan despite it being a Nikon. Actually you might look at the price on a D80 at Best Buy too. If you can swing that then I suggest it.

People forget that the Sony A200 CAN use ALL of the Minolta Maxxum Lenses which are some excellent glass for low prices for a beginner. Also the A200 in body IS is hard to beat. But do look at all the cameras and see which you like best. The feel, the controls, the smell, etc..

wow thanks guys!

i honestly thought you guys would be more biased over which brand to get, i like that this isnt like asking "NVidai vs ATI which is better". there would 10 pages of nonsense and useless posts.

Back