Need some help with my friends new rig

Proteos

Gawd
So I helped my friend setup a system, except we are having some issues. His first motherboard wouldn't allow you to save anything to the BIOS. Once you did it wouldn't even post until I popped the battery. So we sent that back. Tonight we bought a gigabyte p43 ds3l. Everything was going fine until windows BSODed during installation. It referenced ataport.sys

Now my question is this... does this relate to the HDD or the DVD-rom. The DVD is an IDE and the HDD is a SATA drive. Our issue is that I personally gave him the DVD drive because it was my only spare, and neither of us have an extra, so therefore we can't test it out to see if the DVD is the issue. I know both drives are relatively cheap, but he doesn't have much money being he is a poor college student. I may just give him the money so we can get this darn thing running. Any input? I can provide more information as needed. :) Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I googled this subject but cannot seem to determine if its either the HDD or the DVD drive.

Download Memtest+ v2.01, unzip it, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP install CD. Let Memtest+ run for at least three hours on each stick of RAM separately. Go for a full 24 hours if you want to be completely sure that the RAM is not a problem. If you start seeing errors, than your RAM is bad.

Download the CD image of Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP install CD. Test the hard drive and see if any problems are found. DFT will run on most manufacturers' hard drives. Alternatively, you can use Seagate's SeaTools for DOS to test a Seagate or Maxtor drive. For a Western Digital drive, you could use Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS to test a Western Digital drive.

Thannks Danny, I don't know why I had forgotten there are HDD utilities... I will have to run that when I get home :) I hope that works, if not I will definitely be back!

Back