Need some help with setup, please :)

goldznnz

Weaksauce
Man this forum place rocks with mad/crazy good info! props to all here :D
now here what i need help on:

My setup up (its weak, but works for me) HP DC7700 small form factor with Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Processor (2.66-GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 1066-MHz FSB) and this is the memory i can use (per hp.com) The Intel Q965 Express chipsets support non-ECC DDR2 PC2-5300 (667-MHz) and PC2-6400 (800-MHz) memory.

So my question is, will I benefit from using PC2-800MHz memory instead PC2-667MHz memory? will my motherboard/cpu actually use the 800MHz or will it drop it down to some other "standard" MHz speed?

with my FSB at 1066-MHz what is best/ideal memory to use with my FSB combination?

Do motherboards/cpu only use RAM(memory) at one speed, or can they operate at various speeds in relation to the FSB? (like with my FSB @1066MHz, will it actually run my ram at 800MHz or 667MHz depending on ram type? Man some clarity here would be great as i am trying understand this stuff :D

btw, i do understand that if i mix memory speeds, the new speed will be the one with the lowest speed

mad props to all for helping me out

well, your chip has a 1066mhz fsb, which is really 266mhz. when running the memory at the same speed as the bus, you'll end up with DDR2-533. anything faster will get access time down, but bandwidth won't increase tooooo much, since you'll be fsb limited somewhat.

so if you feel like having a big e-penis, or keeping the ram for another system down the road, go with the ddr2-800, if not, stick with the cheaper stuff. if hp says it supports ddr2-800, then it should run at that speed. but it's really your call. personally, i'd go for some ddr2-800 myself, but i'm a ram whore :p

i really appreciate your post bro!

can you explain what you mean by:your chip has a 1066mhz fsb, which is really 266mhz, how is that broken down

and when running the memory at the same speed as the bus, you'll end up with DDR2-533?

thanks again bro, just trying to get a better understanding here

well, your chip has a 1066mhz fsb, which is really 266mhz. when running the memory at the same speed as the bus, you'll end up with DDR2-533. anything faster will get access time down, but bandwidth won't increase tooooo much, since you'll be fsb limited somewhat.

so if you feel like having a big e-penis, or keeping the ram for another system down the road, go with the ddr2-800, if not, stick with the cheaper stuff. if hp says it supports ddr2-800, then it should run at that speed. but it's really your call. personally, i'd go for some ddr2-800 myself, but i'm a ram whore :p

Back