Need something new to play.

JRPereira

Limp Gawd
I'm getting bored out of my mind lately. I've already cancelled my world of warcraft account twice although I may resubscribe. Everquest and its tedium are killing my interest quickly. Half-Life 2, CS:S, and ut2k4 are boring me to tears, and I can't think of another FPS I'd be intersted in (I wish deus ex 2 didn't suck as bad as it did compared to the original).

The warcraft and command and conquer RTS games aren't too interesting to me anymore either. The demo of homeworld 2 seemed ok, albiet simplified compared to the fantastic gameplay of homeworld 1 and cataclysm. Does anyone think that supreme commander will live up to the hype? An RTS like that would be neat.

I'm considering buying a playstation 2 if for nothing else than contra shattered soldier and gradius 5 (both of which look awesome, even if shattered soldier sounds like it has crappy music compared to contra 3). However, being able to play my favorite playstation 1 games again is appealing as well.

Are there any good side (or vertically) scrolling space shooters for the PC (preferably 3d with amazing graphics, and simmilar to the gradius series)?

What about non-MMO RPG's? Is fable good enough to be worth playing (lionhead did great with black and white and apparently going to be better with black and white 2).

What about other genres? Especially less popular or common ones? Can anyone recommend any good PC (or PS2) games for someone who's getting bored of common PC genres (i.e. MMO, FPS, and RTS)?

I do however know one game that I will almost undoubtedly buy as soon as it's released - ragdoll kung fu. For the price and for it being so unique, I don't think I can ignore it.

I've been coming back to contra 3 often, and other simmilar games (gunstar heros and alien soldier) keep reeling me in over and over again. A good qualiy game like that (the metal slug games were really nice too) would be great.

They look pretty neat, and I may try them out. (I loved final fantasy tactics).

However, at the moment I think I'm interested in something with lots of action, large weaponry, huge enemies, and lots of explosions (something like gradius 5, ikaruga, contra shattered soldier, contra 3, gunstar heros, metal solid, gradius 3, etc).

Keep the suggestions coming though, regardless if it fits the above description. I'm just looking for something to catch my eye and reel me in for a while (extra points if the music, gameplay, and graphics are all equally awesome).

Anyone got any suggestions as far as PC games are concerned? Preferably something with a demo or that is freeware (i.e. instant action)?

I'm probably going to try it, however it's not really the direction I'm looking for. I'm looking for something out of the first person perspective that plays like a console game (I don't have the ps2 yet).

Are there any PC games that have the same look and feel of contra: shattered soldier or gradius 5?

I'd find it hard to believe that some random developer hasn't picked up on the idea and ran with it.

Fable: The Lost Chapters rox the sox.....precise controls, sweet textures, great AI, extra levels (from xbox version)....

DS2: ok sequel to Dungeon Siege: its better then the first but not leaps and bounds

Black & White 2: have not seen or tested this...

battlefield 2

indigo prophecy (yes there is action in that game, but its plenty plenty good without it)

dungeon siege 2

you ever played call of duty or its excellent expansion united offensive? if not, you should!

morrowind

chameleoneel said:
you ever played call of duty or its excellent expansion united offensive? if not, you should!

speaking of which, i bought it (expansion) but never installed it. First one was fun.

Honestly I'm not too interested in world war 2/later wars games (well really any history-based war game, with command and conquer red alert being a sort-of exception (ish)).

Indigo Prophecy looks pretty neat and I"m definately going to check that out.

I might try dungeon siege too, but only if there's a demo. I'm not too keen on diablo-like games unless they're just exceptionally fun to play (and diablo 2 wasn't, can't say I really like gauntlet anymore either).

With the time it took to even get a slow download started, and the posts in the forums, I'm probably not going to bother with serious sam anymore even though I was going to just for the hell of it.

Indigo prophecy was really interesting despite my not knowing how to advance much of the story in the demo (if you can, that is), but I'm still looking for some other games to pique my interest.

Any more ideas? I don't have the PS2 yet.

Well I'm downloading vantage master now, and I'm heavily contemplating whether or not I want to buy indigo prophecy/fahrenheit.

I spent a chunk of last night playing the hell out of the metal slug games. If they didn't have such a sloppy control scheme I'd probably play them a lot more often.

I'm still looking for more input though - most preferably some arcade style space shooter with arcade-quality graphics, sound, weapons, and bosses (like gradius 5, which I'm probably going to go and buy) or side scrolling shooter (like a shooter that combines contra's controls and some of its weaponry with metal slug's music and bosses).

Well I got sidetracked so I haven't played vantage master yet, however I tried Giga Wing (arcade) recnetly and I have to say, despite the game being impossible (probably made soley to milk quarters from kids), it's a really nice explosions-and-bullets-everywhere vertical shooter. Luckily I've got infinate quarters and the game just lets me continue where I died. One of the neat features in the game is that you can hold down the fire button to reflect the horde of (occasionally impossible to dodge) bullets back at the enemy (for what seems like more damage than your shots do). The super bomb things it has are really nice too.

The view point shooter for neo geo is pretty bad though, as it's not really nice looking nor does it have satisfying weapons, and the game is really freaking hard (and if you die, the next life doesn't fly where you left off, you have to start a chunk of the level over again).

I played the indigo prophecy demo again and found out that it's actually possible to just make a run for it without doing any prep work, however I haven't managed to find something other than the two main endings (get arrested, or escape [subway/taxi]).

Psychonauts.

An excellent game with nice graphics and a great original story:)

I had tried the Psychonauts but it ran like absolute poo on my comp at the time (i.e. when I was still using the fx 5600 instead of this 6600GT). I might at the very least rent it for the ps2 (there's a ps2 version, right?) and maybe I'll try the demo again for the PC.

I'm going to download Alleigiance and check that out.

If I get a hankering for WW2-ish FPS action I'll let you know, but currently I really don't feel like playing an FPS game and I'm less interested in a WW2-ish FPS.

I did get manage to buy the ps2 from a friend at work though, along with a bunch of games (mostly ones that I don't want). It's the dustiest thing I've ever seen [akimbo air guns and a super soaker full of rubbing alcohol should do the trick], so hopefully when I finish cleaning it, it'll work. Over the weekend I'm going to most likely buy neo contra (suprisingly it's down to $20, so that washes away the problem of paying a lot for a game I only sort of like).

I'm looking at selling (some of/most of) these ps2 games for roughly $10-15 a pop. They look to be ok and in the original packaging, and I'm going to test them all out regardless of whether I even care about the games.

So far GTA vice city, san andreas, and .. the other one (did the original one even have a subtitle?) are there, along with ghost recon, socom, etc. Is anyone interested? I can post a full list if necessary.

I haven't sold anything on ebay before - so would that be an appropriate route to go? or just some friendly selling in the hard forums with paypal for the payment?

I do have a (good quality on a tripod) digital camera for pictures and such if necessary.

I finally got around to playing vantage master recently and it looks to be a pretty interesting game, however the interface kind of ruins the immersion. I was kind of hoping for an always-fullscreen game with a fully integrated UI akin to FF tactics or shining force. There doesn't appear to be any music either (???), which also hampers the immersion. I suppose it's the kind of game that could grow on me, but it'll probably have to wait while I explore other games.

Back