Need to remove Motherboard to install CPU Block?

Well... boys and girls after several weeks of researching I'm ready to dive in the WC world.

Before I pull the trigger and start buying the parts would like to know If I will need to pull the motherboard to install the CPU block?

I'm planning on getting (Still debating):

1- AquaXtreme MP-05 SP Limited Edition or
2- Swiftech STORM Extreme Performance Universal - Rev 2

Have a $250 budget for CPU+GPU loop... lets see what I will get :D

Thanks sir...

That's what I thought but had some lazy hopes :D

Anyway that will give me a chance to reorganize wires and do some dust cleaning.

depends. I had the stock AMD retaining bracket on my mobo that i used to install my zalman 9500.

the Apogee that I got used the same holes but didn't need the bracket so I just laid the case on it's side, removed the retention bracket, and bolted the Apogee right up. I didn't have to take the motherboard out.

If the Storm mounts like the Apogee (and one would imagine it would considering the mounting plates are so similar) you won't have to yank the board on a 939 setup. On 939 it uses the existing backing plate.

Forgot to say yes, I have the 939 socket. What about the AquaXtreme MP-05 SP? Will use same backing plates? I kind of have my eyes on it.

i removed my bracket for better contact.
Bracket.jpg

each time i boot, i checked the tenperature then turn off then tighten or turn the wing nut 1/4turn at a time then reboot and check temperature again.

rysher said:
i removed my bracket for better contact.
Bracket.jpg

each time i boot, i checked the tenperature then turn off then tighten or turn the wing nut 1/4turn at a time then reboot and check temperature again.

Nice tip there ... taking some notes :D

Removing the backing plate will not improve contact. The whole point of the backing plate is to apply the mounting force right behind the CPU rather than around the CPU which leads to the board bending.

i did not removed the plate at the back of the mobo. i only removed the one infront.
i used the back plate to pass thru the long screw. the back plate also prevents the mobo from cracking if too much pressure is applied during tightening.
sorry for not mentioning this, i completely forgot about it. i assume people would know.thanks for the correction.

rysher said:
i did not removed the plate at the back of the mobo. i only removed the one infront.
i used the back plate to pass thru the long screw. the back plate also prevents the mobo from cracking if too much pressure is applied during tightening.
sorry for not mentioning this, i completely forgot about it. i assume people would know.thanks for the correction.

You're supposed to remove the plate in the front of the mobo, otherwise the waterblock wouldn't contact the CPU properly. Make sure you remove the front and keep the back. I believe the swiffy blocks mount with the existing back plate so you wouldn't have to remove the mobo in order to install the waterblock.

Back